Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just on the news. RIP :sad:

09:03: Cyclist killed in Victoria Street
A cyclist has died after being involved in a collision with a tipper truck in central London this morning.
The Met Police and London Ambulance were called just before 08:00 to Victoria Street, near to Victoria Palace in Westminster, where they found an unresponsive woman in her 30s. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Local road closures are in place and motorists are being advised to find alternative routes.

MichaelO

Veteran
I walked past the scene this morning - tipper truck parked up & surrounded by tenting. Terrible :sad:

Oh my god. Do stay well away from the tippers. I generally like to use main roads through London a lot. Often faster. May look for more back-streets.

Tipper truck. Always bloody tipper trucks. Is it not time they banned them from central london during morning and evening rush hours??
May seem drastic but after all this I think there is now a serious case for this.

One problem is i suppose is that it would probably put more on the roads after dark.

Is there any form of trade body for operstors of these things?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Road haulage association? Seems like there is a clear case for both advanced driver training and licensing and also safety adaptations of the vehicles. No way I'm going to be commuting to London now by bike during busy periods, what with these death traps and homicidal cyclists! :sad:

Mile195

Veteran
May seem drastic but after all this I think there is now a serious case for this.

One problem is i suppose is that it would probably put more on the roads after dark.

Is there any form of trade body for operstors of these things?
I don't think that's a problem. The roads are so much quieter once rush hour has finished. Drivers of all vehicles aren't trying to fit in to spaces they shouldn't be in to get through traffic lights and that.

London will only ever be half-finished. Building work will never stop, and buildings require delivery of heavy things, but I can't see why contractors can't schedule deliveries during daytimes between rush hours, and after 7pm. The nature of building these big office and apartment blocks means you know exactly when you need what materials, so it's not like a limited delivery period would be detrimental to the work if it were co-ordinated properly.

Keith Oates

Janner
Another terrible piece of news. It needs some good and experienced people to consider a way of reducing this type of problem and segregating streets could be one of them. !!!

Mile195

Veteran
I would have thought building whole segregated lanes just for tipper trucks a bit overkill. Just banning them until the learn to play nicely should be sufficient.
I agree. At the moment building work is in victoria. Once that's finished it'll be somewhere else rendering any permanent road modifications a bit pointless. I suppose you could put traffic cones out to denote a temporary segregated cycle lane, but then we'd all be expected to ride in it even if you didn't want to, with nowhere to pass anyone going slower.
Roads are inherently dangerous places. there's no easy solution to these accidents unfortunately. If there was, there'd be no need for this section of the forum.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I agree. At the moment building work is in victoria. Once that's finished it'll be somewhere else rendering any permanent road modifications a bit pointless. I suppose you could put traffic cones out to denote a temporary segregated cycle lane, but then we'd all be expected to ride in it even if you didn't want to, with nowhere to pass anyone going slower.
Roads are inherently dangerous places. there's no easy solution to these accidents unfortunately. If there was, there'd be no need for this section of the forum.

No - they're not. You can have picnics and play football in them. The sources of danger are identifiable and preventable.

DWiggy

Über Member
A blanket rush hour ban on anything above 7.5 tonne should be the absolute minimum! People are being killed for god sake!!!!

Such a tragic loss!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Tipper trucks again and again and again.
How can we make a change?
Where do we find the stats for starters?
I'm sure someone will be along with some in a minute.

Starting by finding someone with the backbone and public exposure to shame the people that will be blaming the cyclist for this would be a good start. Someone will be finding fault with what she was doing, whether fault was there or not, and forgetting that nothing she could have been doing should have resulted in her dying. Repeatedly that bit gets forgotten.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm sure someone will be along with some in a minute.

Starting by finding someone with the backbone and public exposure to shame the people that will be blaming the cyclist for this would be a good start. Someone will be finding fault with what she was doing, whether fault was there or not, and forgetting that nothing she could have been doing should have resulted in her dying. Repeatedly that bit gets forgotten.
We have Jon Snow BBC/CTC, Boris, Louise Minchin/BBC, Chris Boardman, Call me Dave, Davina McCall, at least cyclists with a profile ....
But somehow a campaign needs an organisation to kick this off ....

CTC
LCC
BC
CC

Top Bottom