Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Jammed traffic is often safer in my experience as there is sod-all space for the drivers to go/limited initiative possible.

You got that right.

It's the main reason why I feel safer cycling in London than in the town where I live, which doesn't really have traffic jams.

Also London's slower moving traffic makes it easier for a slow cyclist like me to keep pace.

I'm less likely to frustrate a following driver when he can see I'm not holding him up.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The temporary road layout in that part of Victoria does no favours at all to any road users or pedestrians. It's absolutely atrocious.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I note from the website of the company logo visible in the press photos that the company has started giving their drivers cycle training (their press release does not give a date so I don't know how far along the line they are now) and has been working with cycletraininguk with the aim of getting all their drivers trained. Because they're involved in several TfL projects, they're clearly not a fly-by-night operation.

Of course, I've no idea whether the driver involved had been trained yet but even when there's at least some investment in cycle awareness, it can't always be effective. I would argue that it's the truck design that's inherently dangerous - no matter how hard they polish them.

This hurts.
cycle-training.png

Best advice until something meaningful is done about the problem, which may be never.

If the tipper is not near you, it cannot hurt or kill you.
It won't always be possible to steer clear of them, but if I see one coming up from behind I'm content to stop for a few seconds behind a parked car, or wherever, to let it pass.
If one is in front, I will hang back.

Makes perfect sense. My life is my responsibility and if that is not common sense I am not sure what is. It does not mean that we cannot actively campaign to make things safer or take those irresponsible ones to task.

The last thing that is going is save my ***e is the knowledge that I know my rights in traffic.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't think that's a problem. The roads are so much quieter once rush hour has finished. Drivers of all vehicles aren't trying to fit in to spaces they shouldn't be in to get through traffic lights and that.

London will only ever be half-finished. Building work will never stop, and buildings require delivery of heavy things, but I can't see why contractors can't schedule deliveries during daytimes between rush hours, and after 7pm. The nature of building these big office and apartment blocks means you know exactly when you need what materials, so it's not like a limited delivery period would be detrimental to the work if it were co-ordinated properly.

you should be on stage with comedy like that. do you know what it is like in construction. when the client screams he wants this now and the next job relies on the reports from the proffesional team on the last one. any idea how many die each week in construction , acute and Chronic - average is 1.3 people a week . mainly because too many companies take shortcuts . company I work for is lucky that we haven't had a site death for 2 years, but we have had deaths from chronic illnesses .

I would love to schedule all the deliveries to our sites between 09.30 and 03.30 but sadly we just couldnt get all the materials we need on site in that sort of timescale.
somebosdy will be along shortly to suggest night time deliveries but everybody forgets that a huge amount of sites operate close to residential ( yes even in central London - last site i was full time on had a major problem with ANY out of hours works including the builders clean at the end. due to s.61 of the pollution act. and that includes noise dust light vibration .

then you have the cost factor- human and financial- work nights costs more money for the employees and that comes from somewhere. pass it clients yeah? who are the clients- mainly large investment banks/insurance/assurance/pension companies but you still want a good return on your money don't you.

I heard the news on twitter this morning and had a tear in my eye as another death has occured . But lets not knee jerk this and have some proper thought out solution yes?

subaqua

What’s the point
A blanket rush hour ban on anything above 7.5 tonne should be the absolute minimum! People are being killed for god sake!!!!

Such a tragic loss!

lets ban big Vans then too and Boris bikes , based on the nutty stuff I saw today . which included a female on a boris bike trying to go down a gap that was not safe to go down.

MINDSET.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Any chance you could quote it here, please? Link not working on phone.
by SteveHunter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Unfortunately yet another needless loss of life on Londons roads.

Also unfortunately I know the circumstances of todays incident, wrong place at wrong time, and certainly in this instance I don't think we can really lay the blame on the driver of the lorry.

The lorry was turning left and was indicating and had audible warnings. The lorry, which I was behind, was already manoeuvring when the cyclist passed me on the left and then tried to pass the lorry on the left hand side to either attempt to turn left or go straight ahead, unfortunately there wasn't room.

I see too many cyclists try and squeeze down the left hand side of lorries and buses at junctions when I'm riding in London, lorries do need to be safer but a lot of cyclists really do need to accept a bit more responsibility for the way they cut through traffic.

SteveHunter

Top Bottom