Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's a nice idea but there is no shortage of other noises in very busy town centres, and unless it's only audible to the people on the left side of the vehicle I fear it's just going to be another piece to add to the confusion. But maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic - have the TRL or anybody done studies?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I thought some also played a warning of a voice saying 'warning turning left'. Also as it's triggered by the indicator, that has its own set of problems...

I still don't think we should be comfortable with undertaking on the left having the death penalty. Agreed, if all the conjecture is correct there wasn't much the lorry driver could do, but decent mirrors and using them isn't impossible, there's a big difference between 'not much' and 'nothing'.

I shoulder check when crossing the mouth of a junction to make sure nobody is about to left hook me, on the few times I've driven something Luton size of bigger I've been very wary of the inside of the vehicle when turning left. I guess it's possible familiarity takes away some of the fear that breeds that caution.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Do we know the lorry wasn't already turning left when the cyclist went up the inside? In which case, presumably the driver would have been looking at the road into which he was turning rather than from where he was coming?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I still don't think we should be comfortable with undertaking on the left having the death penalty.
Exactly. Given that undertaking any other kind of vehicle on the left seems to be a much less risky endeavour, it seems that irrespective of "blame" or "responsibility", there should be things we could do to make tipper trucks or the way in which they are used more forgiving.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Do we know the lorry wasn't already turning left when the cyclist went up the inside? In which case, presumably the driver would have been looking at the road into which he was turning rather than from where he was coming?
Lets face it, we know very little and are unlikely to be told much more, especially not quickly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As far as I understand the reports and pictures, it was a left-turn-only filter lane (Bressenden Place into Victoria Street). Surely the driver should have been looking at their sides in a narrowed-by-construction street?
And better educate cyclists on the dangers somehow :sad:
Yes but that will never reach 100%. Alongside reallocations of space for permanent street layouts, the Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works needs beefing up and giving teeth, to stop people pushing such a deadly mix of high volumes of traffic through bodged-up roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And the lorry even had the big 'don't overtake on the left' sticker on it.
Sadly, I think that has been overused so much that it has become meaningless and is seen as just another offensive sticker, especially in London. It was never a great idea, what with cycleways generally being on the left of carriageways and overtaking on the left being fine in that situation.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Sadly, I think that has been overused so much that it has become meaningless and is seen as just another offensive sticker, especially in London. It was never a great idea, what with cycleways generally being on the left of carriageways and overtaking on the left being fine in that situation.
It's my belief that any vehicle that feels the need for a 'don't overtake on the left sticker' on the back should be forced to have a similarly sized one on the dash saying 'remember to look out for cycles & pedestrians'.

PK99

Legendary Member
We don't, hence the fact that discussing this specific sad case is not really very productive.

from the eyewitness report from another cyclist (CTC forum) : The lorry, which I was behind, was already manoeuvring when the cyclist passed me on the left and then tried to pass the lorry on the left hand side

Top Bottom