Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Your industry has had more than long enough to come up with any number of solution to a problem for which it is responsible. How much longer do you need?

actually it is the road haulage industry that needs to sort it self out . Construction got it self sorted and reduced death rate from close to 100 a year to about half that.

if a car transporter kills a road user is it the motor manufacturer that is to blame? and as I said in my post above it is the client drive for lower prices for a better return that is the driver for low cost construction.

and why oh why do I see a silly number of road users ( mainly on 2 wheels of powered or pedal powered type still going into spaces that are closing up ? should we blame the NHS for allowing them to be born.

there is a collective responsibility. I look out for you , you look out for me .

as an aside and without any of the usual bollox of " its not down to me to tell you" what are the real solutions , ones that ensure the problem isn't moved to a different place.

if you can genuinely tell me how to get all the deliveries required into a town centre there will be people listening further up the tree. local authorities put restrictions on delivery times in the planning application. nothing before 08.00 or after 18.00 for most if not all. section 61 comes into play if we want to change this . we replaced a large transformer ,12 ton was the lowest weight we could get any section down to, ( that really wont fit on a Van and cannot be broken down any further without making the thing on site which means bigger machinery etc ) that involved a Friday Evening delivery to minimise disruption due to power down and road closures . the hoops CoL make you jump through to make things happen is absurd.

there needs to be changes to huge amounts of legislation and yes it can be done easily if the sensibilities are there ( or not as in the case of Section 20 of the London act )

so is anybody lobbying MP , councillors etc or are they all sitting at a keyboard bemoaning things.
I am just dreading the first report of a cyclist killed along Aldgate -Bow improvements during the construction. I had a close shave this morning with pedestrians moving barriers into the road making a narrow lane even narrower .

subaqua

What’s the point
Tipper trucks are clearly a visible part of the construction industry spilling out onto the roads. As such they should be governed by the same health and safety regulations on the road as on site.
As for the how do we get the necessary deliveries bit, not my problem, other than the fact that the argument is used to force everyone to accept the problem on our roads. It should be down to the group with the vested interest to sort it.

we the consumers are the vested interest.

surely in the ivory towers they have heard of focus groups where some great ideas ( and some crap ones but hey rough and smooth) to sort things out can come out.

how far back do you want to take the regulations that cover construction ? to the African copper mine ? to the steel smelting plant , the quarry .

oh and the same regulations and laws do apply, a great piece of legislation that is just over 40 . HASAWetcA 1974 - even staff sat in an office are protected by this, as much as the public . I could if I could be bothered to open my copy give you the sections and wordings about protecting the public .

sadly the CPS don't wish to proceed with using this, for reasons beyond me . choosing to go for the lighter options of a motoring offence.

maybe there needs to be a stick, but the laws are there and available to use.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

No one has. We are talking about the disproportionate level of danger these vehicles and operating practice's bring to our roads.
No we're not, well according to an eye witness we're not, or are you not interested in what actually happened & happy to live in your 'all tipper's are evil' world?

happy to live in your 'all tipper's are evil' world?
All tippers aren't evil, nobody is suggesting that.

All tippers have the potential to kill numerous people and thus all tippers should be driven with utmost care and utmost responsibility with the heaviest punishment for infringements.

D

Deleted member 26715

All tippers aren't evil, nobody is suggesting that.
All tippers have the potential to kill numerous people and thus all tippers should be driven with utmost care and utmost responsibility with the heaviest punishment for infringements.
How was this driver 'infringing' he was indicating left, he had an audible warning that he was turning left, he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) moved slightly right to be able to turn left, he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) slowed even further down, other cyclist say what was happening & held back, yet this unfortunate soul missed all the warning & continued on

Go back and read the thread. We are discussing the disproportionate level of danger these vehicles bring to our roads. Using emotive words like evil in this context is just being silly.
I have & all you do is bleat on about how's it's everybody's elses other than the never making a mistake downtrodden cyclist fault no matter what the circumstances are,

How was this driver 'infringing' he was indicating left, he had an audible warning that he was turning left, he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) moved slightly right to be able to turn left, he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) slowed even further down, other cyclist say what was happening & held back, yet this unfortunate soul missed all the warning & continued on

I have & all you do is bleat on about how's it's everybody's elses other than the never making a mistake downtrodden cyclist fault no matter what the circumstances are,
He (?) did nothing wrong. If the case, he will face no charges. The lawlessness amongst his colleagues is frightening and must be addressed.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I think we have to accept that, whilst there is a disproportionate level of danger presented by these vehicles and they should be driven with the utmost care and face stiff penalties for any infringement, in this case, there is evidence to suggest the cyclist made a fatal error, especially if she was using a phone at the time...

I live in London (a lot), one of the world's greatest and busiest cities, and I accept that there is a danger to me as a cyclist on the roads here...

D

Deleted member 26715

You appear to be reduced to just making stuff up and trying to make things a bit personal now.
HELLO who are you are what have you done with the real Adrian?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
He (?) did nothing wrong. If the case, he will face no charges. The lawlessness amongst his colleagues is frightening and must be addressed.
But, if this is the case, he still needs to live with the fact that someone died under his wheels even though he did nothing wrong. He has to take responsibility for and live with the consequences of someone else's actions. That's a pretty sh*tty burden to have to bear when not at fault and he was just doing his job apparently responsibly. Could be tragic all round

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would have thought building whole segregated lanes just for tipper trucks a bit overkill. Just banning them until the learn to play nicely should be sufficient.
Indeed. Overkill describes the current situation, though.
lets ban big Vans then too and Boris bikes , based on the nutty stuff I saw today . which included a female on a boris bike trying to go down a gap that was not safe to go down.
And how many other people was the Boris biker likely to kill?
It's all too easy for contributors on a cycling forum to point all their ire at the trucker, but in this case it does look like this woman did herself no favours whatsoever...
Whether or not that's accurate, should the punishment for a mistaken overtake-on-left be death? In any case, the motorist should "be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side" (Highway Code Rule 151).
he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) moved slightly right to be able to turn left, he probably (yes I am hypothesising here) slowed even further down, other cyclist say what was happening & held back
Aren't you hypothesising that other cyclists said what was happening to her? Shouldn't drivers stop as soon as they realise a collision is imminent?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3546389, member: 9609"]

It was mentioned up thread about an audible warning sound as the truck was turning - can anyone elaborate on this I'm curious to what it is? is it like the reversing beep but a different sound that comes on with the indicators or steering position ?[/QUOTE]

Most of the trucks here in London have what I would describe as a white noise beeping sound with some also an audible warning of 'vehicle turning left'.

Top Bottom