Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
It's my belief that any vehicle that feels the need for a 'don't overtake on the left sticker' on the back should be forced to have a similarly sized one on the dash saying 'remember to look out for cycles & pedestrians'.

I agree. Only this morning I saw a van left-hook a cyclist at Cambridge station with no warning/indication. He had a "Cyclists! Stay Back!" sticker on his back doors.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
He was in one of the crews that responded to this incident and had to scrape this poor woman off the road.

Please remember the need for sensitivity in this section; victims' relatives have been known to post in here.

GC

There is footage of a (Mod Edit: different) lorry driver rear ending a cyclist, then getting out and shouting "I had stickers". That's the danger of those stickers, idiots reckon they constitute an absolution of responsibility.

The lorry driver killed the cyclist. At this stage that's all we know.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the eyewitness report from another cyclist (CTC forum) : The lorry, which I was behind, was already manoeuvring when the cyclist passed me on the left and then tried to pass the lorry on the left hand side

We've had two "eye witness" claims which contradict each other.

D

Deleted member 26715

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink milk, that makes as much sense as some of the comments in this thread by people who clearly know nothing about driving HGV's.

Twinks

Über Member
As @vickster said it is a tragedy all round. As I said earlier my husband is a trucker, yes I know not a tipper driver but still a professional driver, and if this was him I know his life would effectively be finished, blame or no blame. This whole thread has made me physically sick. Firstly because of the loss of the life of a young woman in such an horrific way and secondly hearing the way in which someone can be so vilified for doing a job of work regardless of any knowledge of his personal attitude to it or the full circumstances. Debating the laws of health and safety on the roads is one thing but to depersonalise the driver of a tipper truck or to assume his guilt because of a general assumption is unfair. Everyone who uses the road has a duty of care to themselves and everyone else, cyclists included.

Shaun

Founder
Whilst I'm sure everyone's thoughts go out to the family and friends of the poor woman who has been killed, this thread has almost entirely been about tipper trucks so I've moved the thread from the Cyclist Down forum to here so that the discussion can continue - but please do so respectfully and with consideration for the fact that someone has been killed.

Thanks,
Shaun

Boo

Über Member
I came past the accident site just after it happened last week on my way into work. This morning, lots of Police / Community Support Officers are out grabbing cyclists who are breaking rules. Saw one guy on a Boris bike being reprimanded for going the wrong way down a one way street, and a little further on, another cyclist being hauled over for jumping a red light.

Top Bottom