Women Drivers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r80

Probably as they are more cautious drivers in general, and so don't want to risk going into the other lane even if it is okay.

48412337.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Several scientific studies have produced evidence supporting the theory however.

Rather flimsy evidence. Part of the problem is that people generally don't read the scientific studies anyway, because all they are interested in is the confirmation of what they already believe. And snappy media headlines about "scientific studies" are rather better at doing that than scientific studies themselves.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A bad male driver is probably more of a danger than a bad female driver but if I feel that a car has passed by a bit too near and I have a look at them it is more likely to be a woman in my experience.
I think they just want a close look at your finely honed buttocks. Wear a burkha.

Typhon

Wonder if it's just law of averages. Seems there are more male than female cyclists, therefore the proportion of drivers who are also cyclists are inclined to be males and give cyclists more consideration when they are driving. I am female and also give cyclists plenty of room and consideration but that is maybe more due to the fact that I cycle myself.

I think there's a lot of truth in this. There is a gap in understanding between cyclists and motorists. Almost all cyclists drive or have driven but a lot of motorists don't cycle and I think it's the ones that don't that are the problem.

I have always had Audis but despite that I have always thought that most Audi and BMW drivers are prats that drive too fast and too aggressively. So when I started cycling I feared them the most but I soon learned I was completely mistaken. Cycling in rush hour is a pleasure, I do it most nights after I get back from work. The big saloons pass me fast but very wide. Perhaps this is because big German saloons are mostly owned by men in their 30s-50s which is pretty much the main demographic for cyclists.

As it turns out, my biggest nightmare is women in hatchbacks and 4x4s, followed by white van drivers. Just today I went out for a 15 mile ride and got cut up by two women in small French/Japanese cars and a white van person. I just went out for a quick 5 miles to test something tonight and like always at 5-7pm, I had no problems despite the greatly increased traffic.

This may be different from other people's experiences, particularly those who cycle in towns and cities but for me cycling exclusively around country lanes, the school run is the hellish time to be avoided at all costs.

dilbert-confirmation-bias.gif

Reece

Veteran
In the year of me commuting by bike. I find more males have the issues. Usually impatient and think they own the road. Not had so many close passes by them but a lot of abusive remarks and pullin out of junctions about 2-3ft in front of me.

Top Bottom