Womens cycling tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

What's the best type of underwear to use under cycling shorts/tights? Commando which all the boys seem keen on, so isn't for me - what if I have an accident and end up in hospital!! :wacko:

Nope, none. I don't wear anything under cycle shorts / tights. That's the general idea with them. Underwear underneath generally leads to chafage, which is not good! I would hazard a guess that hospital staff have probably seen it all (so to speak) and are quite used to seeing cyclists in 'commando' mode.

pepecat

If you want to avoid the waistband digging in issue, bib shorts / tights are great! I wear mens ones cos i'm not that big 'up top' but you can get women's specific ones.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I do find the cheaper ones lead to umm.....downstairs lady infections though....

I thought I was imagining that! :whistle:

I bought a couple of cheap pairs from Tenn to tide me over and thought that the pain was because they were slightly baggy on me and the padding moved around. I find my normal cotton leggings and proper pants more comfortable but maybe I just need to wear tighter tights?

vickster

Legendary Member
that's not the issue...more the cleanliness thing :wacko: Bibs must be a right pain if need the loo surely?

Your cat looks like mine!

Just have enough pairs that you can wash them after every ride, nothing unclean about it. They also wick much better than cotton underwear. I used to wear underwear under my shorts - I'd never go back now!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Vickster- I'd really recommend that you try the shorts etc without any pants on as seams and pant fabric really will negate the effect of a good padded short.

And as Becs has said if you wash them after each ride and have enough pairs there is no hygiene issue.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
What's the best type of underwear to use under cycling shorts/tights? Commando which all the boys seem keen on, so isn't for me - what if I have an accident and end up in hospital!! :wacko:

I usually go commando under my tights, I only had one pair of bibs & last weekend I knew i'd be cycling 3 days in row, as my central heating also chose last week to go on the blink I knew I wouldn't be able to get them washed & dry overnight (I don't put my lycra gear in the tumble dryer)
So I wore a pair of Nike Undershorts underneath, I was comfortable & forgot I was even wearing them, until I went to the loo, then got in a muddle as nearly 'sat down' with them still on!

I decided that 1 pair of bibs really wasn't enough so now have 2 new pairs from Wiggle, but I may carry on wearing the Nikes... as they are compression ones, they did hold my saggy arse in & I reckon I looked so much better LOL!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Vickster, if you want to have two layers on, then go for unpadded tights / shorts and invest in good padded undershorts. I'm in the commando camp with my bibs. And yes, going to the loo is a pain, but well worth it for the comfort advantages.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'm tall for a lass, when I first ventured into a bike shop to purchase some proper cycling shorts many moons ago, I found that I had to buy a mans L or XL depending on the manufacturer.
I've been wearing blokes shorts ever since..!Last week I had a trip to Readings Decathlon, tried on a mens bibs tights in a Large, & found it too short in the body, so just grabbed an XL off the rack..Only to find 80miles later at home, i'd mistakenly grabbed XXL & they were huge on me
sad.gif
Lycra is bad enough..baggy lycra is just obscene!

This week I decided I really did need another pair, as trying to wash/dry the one set I have 4/5 a week was getting silly...
So I thought i'd give DHB's ladies bibs a go, figured if they didn't fit Wiggle do a freepost returns service.
Well I have to say i am super impressed, they fit perfectly, the pad is so much comfier - Well it's desinged to fit a womans undercarriage after all
biggrin.gif

But I am now a tad confused... I've been wearing Endura mens XL, which are ok, Decathlons L's are painfully tight, the Addidas made Tshirt i've just been sent by British Cycling is a Large & fits great, but the jacket is an XXXL & is like a second skin, but I can finaly fit back into a size 14 Wiggle set of bibs
How the heck I am supposed to know just what size I am really...?

Top Bottom