Women's geometry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
How important is it?
I have read what bike manufacturers say about the difference between women's bikes compared to small men's but would like opinions on whether people think it makes a huge amount of difference in practice.
I am 5ft3 with long legs for my height and both my bikes are women's geometry.
I am thinking about buying a cyclocross bike sometime next year and if I look for only women's bikes there is very little choice and I am severely limiting what I can have.
How many small females out there ride men's bikes and do you find them comfortable?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Is it not more about female saddles?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm 5'6", so probably don't count as 'small'.
I think what matters is the fit. If the frame size is OK, the reach can be adjusted with different stem lengths etc. As far as I know. I think you just need to try the bikes you are interested in, esp if there are limited 'womens' models.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You need to go to your LBS and try them. You may find a mans or woman's that you like.

I have a TREK Lexa SL road bike which is designed to fit women but it fits me really well. The same goes for a Brooks Imperial S saddle. Made for women but suits me very well.

The best way is really getting on different bikes.

Steve

e-rider

crappy member
It's not just the Womans frame geometry. A lot of the other components will be different too. The obvious being the saddle, shorter reach brake levers, narrower bars, shorter stem etc............
If you are built like a man of the same height then buy a mans bike! If you are more womanly (small hands, ladies arse etc) best buy a womans specific bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's not just the Womans frame geometry. A lot of the other components will be different too. The obvious being the saddle, shorter reach brake levers, narrower bars, shorter stem etc............
If you are built like a man of the same height then buy a mans bike! If you are more womanly (small hands, ladies arse etc) best buy a womans specific bike.
Could you point me in the direction of WSD 105/ultegra/Durace/SRAM equivalent levers ?

I'm 5'6", so probably don't count as 'small'.
I think what matters is the fit. If the frame size is OK, the reach can be adjusted with different stem lengths etc. As far as I know. I think you just need to try the bikes you are interested in, esp if there are limited 'womens' models.
It's always worth remembering that you can make a smaller frame bigger but cannot make a larger frame smaller. Stems only adjust so much and if you end up taking 50mm off the length of one, the stem probably won't be the issue - but bike size

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm 5'10 and ride a 54cm frame (assuming fairly typical geometry). I am not a small build but if buying a 'man's' I would always need a shorter stem (would typically have a 110-120, I need a 90 or 100), narrower bars (typically a 42c, I need a 38cm), a women's saddle. Also, I simply cannot wrap my fingers around Shimano hoods to comfortably brake whereby I feel I would be able to stop in a hurry (on Tiagra or105, not tried Ultegra), SRAM hoods however are slimmer and work for me. On this basis, I decided to build my own 54cm Genesis Equilibrium, with SRAM rival, the right width bars, the right length stem, will probably end up around RRP but I'll have a bike that fits m without further adjustment and expense

Giant make some WSD CX bikes this year, I don't think many others though. You could get Kinesis to build you one but cost rather more than an off the peg C'dale say

Agree with THMNET, don't buy a bike that is clearly too big in the hope that you can make it fit. That said on a too small frame, TT length, you could easily feel cramped even with a longer stem

My understanding is that a WSD frame is differently proportioned in terms of head tube length and other dimensions, but you'd need to compare

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We have 6 ladies ride with our club, one has a women's specific bike,

vickster

Legendary Member
And perhaps consider that some people use these forums at work...a link with a NSFW warning may be better

ayceejay

Guru
I apologize vicky I had not intended to be offensive only to direct attention to an obvious source of female geometry

Mod edit: Deleted pic in your previous post as NSFW. You can link to it if you wish, but it isn't really related to the subject of this thread - i.e. it won't help anyone decide what size frame they need!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I have a Specialized Dolce a womans specific bike but only because it fits me. I am 5'4 and have a short reach. I tried many bikes out including men specific so my advice would be look at them all as just non specific bikes and pick the one that fits.
Have nearly bought a Dolce a couple of times. Fits me well too. As a matter of interest, did you find that similar sized frame men's bikes that you tried were a bit of a stretch?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Have nearly bought a Dolce a couple of times. Fits me well too. As a matter of interest, did you find that similar sized frame men's bikes that you tried were a bit of a stretch?

Yes i did. Funnily both my current bikes and my bikes for the previous 15 years have been Specialized. No matter what i try i always come back to them for the best fit and they are even better after a pro fit. It is a lovely bike and i have done a lot of mileage on it since i got it in May.

Top Bottom