Women's inclusion in cycling clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are your cycling clubs dealing with this and, if they are, how?

Cycling has always been male dominated. There's very little doubt about that. A lot of clubs seem to be talking a lot about inclusion and how much they want to increase the number of female members. Which is great, only to find out that at the end of the day, they don't do much at all.

Recently my partner started to get interested in cycling and she was so happy when she found out about an initiative from a local cycling club aimed at beginner female cyclists. Big social media announcements, very promising statements and good intentions. All seemed promising and interesting.

Anyways, she got disappointed straightaway when all this club was doing was:
- just inviting female riders to the usual 50-60 miles weekend social rides (not easy if you are a beginner)
- talking shite and showcase some of the worst examples of toxic masculinity I've seen on the club's series of zwift challenges

Is this just a case of a particularly bad club or do you guys find the same situation in general?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I went along one evening to my club's weekly get-together. Sat at one table were several unknown ladies plus one club member. They had come to see the club committee because they'd felt uncomfortable at a few local clubs. Basically they wanted a ladies section, their own kit and to organise their own rides. Male members could come along but they would lead it. Oh, and they brought cake :okay:

Fast forward five years and we have a thriving ladies section, many of whom have also brought along their partners. They're now a core part of the club, with ladies riding in their own rides and also the main club rides. We've ladies who were really nervous at the start have come on massively to become ride leaders and some to race. They still bring cake to club nights, together with additional non-bike training sessions the club would never have considered running.

A few of the club members couldn't cope with this; and they've left. We're probably better as a club without them.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are but locally in the Wirral area we have Bicycle Belles a ladies only once a month for those starting out ~20 miles, but also Wirral Cycling Group has a large female contingent and a huge ride program, regular newcomers 20m monthly ish. If you want faster then the main group have longer/faster weekly, or further afield Chester Fabulous Ladies are fast(er). Local CTC group 2Mills haven't recovered from C19 shutdown yet but also has many lady members. Locally we also have several road clubs, one has a ladies section but mandate clip pedals and drop bars so perhaps too intense (PSW).
Lots of men don't like (testerone fuelled) road clubs either, I suspect every sport has toxic clubs.

I passed a womens club out by Frodsham the other week. I forget the name but they had cool kit.

In my old club women weren't even allowed to join until the 80s ! How mad is that ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Being a small local club we had a mixed membership with no problems. We did mostly forestry tracks and some trails we constructed ourselves well off road. The emphasis seems to have shifted to road bikes and I no longer attend such things being too unfit. On my trike rides I have been passed by some young ladies who were travelling pretty fast so I reckon they could hold their own on any road trips.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A few of the club members couldn't cope with this; and they've left.
It's unfortunate, but there are still a lot of unpleasant dinosaurs around.

Perhaps a more positive position from the club's perspective rather than hoping these people leave would be to try and help them correct their views, and if that doesn't work then show them the door?

All uphill

Still rolling along
This.

(It's come up in many similar discussion elsewhere!)
I'm an old white male who has left quite a few organisations over the years, because I couldn't put up with their exclusion of anyone unlike themselves.

One memorable ride included a person with a disability on a recumbent; the ride leader managed, within a mile, to find three obstacles that the recumbent couldn't negotiate!

Nasty.

When I challenged the leader I was told that I didn't have to go out with them either. So I don't.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm an old white male who has left quite a few organisations over the years, because I couldn't put up with their exclusion of anyone unlike themselves.

One memorable ride included a person with a disability on a recumbent; the ride leader managed, within a mile, to find three obstacles that the recumbent couldn't negotiate!

Nasty.

When I challenged the leader I was told that I didn't have to go out with them either. So I don't.

'kinell, if that was motivated by sheer spite as you imply that is bizarre indeed, never mind horrible

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@cougie uk - there's Queensbury QOM in West Yorkshire. Nice kit and a well-organised ladies club.

Perhaps a more positive position from the club's perspective rather than hoping these people leave would be to try and help them correct their views, and if that doesn't work then show them the door?

They tried the first and had to do the second with at least one member.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Being a small local club we had a mixed membership with no problems. We did mostly forestry tracks and some trails we constructed ourselves well off road. The emphasis seems to have shifted to road bikes and I no longer attend such things being too unfit. On my trike rides I have been passed by some young ladies who were travelling pretty fast so I reckon they could hold their own on any road trips.
This, although the road bikes and e bikes don't appear in great number on shorter rides. Last ride was balanced but it varies.

I think it's mostly older BC clubs that have problems, with their "women do the teas and cakes in the hall" attitude. I'm a bit sick of them setting up new "ladies" groups and trying to lure riders from existing groups, thereby creating imbalance where there was none, while still not correcting the imbalance in their own club because the "ladies" aren't regarded as full members! And then I read that some of their ride leaders are "honorary ladies" and I don't mean non-binary...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like ultra distance rides. The whole ethos behind it is that we are all in the same boat together. It makes no difference if you are 16 or 60, man or woman. We are all going to get cold, wet and knackered. Everyone is on the same level playing field. Nobody gets an advantage. Wow there are some tough women out there, who can make it look easy. But women do not need men to start any type of club. They are far better it than the guys.

Very interesting insights from everyone. Thanks, really appreciate it.

Sounds like this particular club is just full of bad apples (I'm in the Edinburgh and Lothians area).

I'm waiting for my partner to get more into cycling, then I'll try to convince her to start her own club with other like minded people :okay:

Top Bottom