Women's inclusion in cycling clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd just be worried about someone who feels the need to wear team kit. Full stop.
You must spend a lot of time being worried then ?

Back in the day team kit was just about the only decent kit you could get. Things are a lot different now but if someone wants to wear team kit - where's the harm ?

Alex321

Veteran
I'd just be worried about someone who feels the need to wear team kit. Full stop.
Why?

What on earth is there about that which gives any conceivable cause for "worry"?

It is perectly normal and commonplace behaviour among supporters of any sporting team to want to wear that team kit. That is why teams sell replica kits.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You must spend a lot of time being worried then ?

Back in the day team kit was just about the only decent kit you could get. Things are a lot different now but if someone wants to wear team kit - where's the harm ?

Why?

What on earth is there about that which gives any conceivable cause for "worry"?

It is perectly normal and commonplace behaviour among supporters of any sporting team to want to wear that team kit. That is why teams sell replica kits.

Worried? No. It was a flippant tongue-in-cheek remark nothing else.

Proto

Legendary Member
My eldest daughter is involved with these two groups. Both run by women, with the specific aim of encouraging woman to partake in cycling at all levels. They set up training courses, bike maintenance, bike packing skills, map reading etc. The latter ( not sure about SitW) welcomes men to attend their events but all ride leaders are female. Their ambition is not necessarily to go faster and further but to be diverse and inclusive, all ages, sizes, backgrounds welcomed.

https://www.sistersinthewild.com/

https://www.thenewforestoffroadclub.com/

Very interesting insights from everyone. Thanks, really appreciate it.

Sounds like this particular club is just full of bad apples (I'm in the Edinburgh and Lothians area).

I'm waiting for my partner to get more into cycling, then I'll try to convince her to start her own club with other like minded people :okay:
I moved to Edinburgh 27 years ago and still haven’t found a club that suits me, far less one that suits my wife. I had a brief few years enjoying the West Lothian Clarion rides from East Calder but they’re too fast for me now.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I like how it's all men answering, this what's wrong with women's cycling.

Have you bothered to read the thread? Surely you can see the men posting are supportive of women's cycling.

We can only comment as men

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a welcome to Yorkshire Top that I frequently wear I’m not from Yorkshire I love Yorkshire and visit at least a couple of times a year for non cycling holidays
As regarding women in cycling clubs Back in the fifties I joined the local CTC section We had four ladies who were regulars what ever the weather .Same with another close by had several women members. I and male members never had a problem.

Times have changed since then. Most clubs now appear to be speed oriented rather than full day rides back then
Don’t know if it still exists Leicester had an all female club DeMontfort Ladies

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Have you bothered to read the thread? Surely you can see the men posting are supportive of women's cycling.

We can only comment as men

But if we comment 'as women' on here - ie on cyclechat - on this thread or elsewhere - if there is obvious sexism at large in a situation - then we will get asked to take it to NACA..

Because it's deemed 'too political'..

Sexism doesn't just happen on some club rides.
It's everywhere, and we should just put up, or shut up, right ??

Laugh along with 'the lads' or we're all just 'sourpusses' right??

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But if we comment 'as women' on here - ie on cyclechat - on this thread or elsewhere - if there is obvious sexism at large in a situation - then we will get asked to take it to NACA..

Because it's deemed 'too political'..

Sexism doesn't just happen on some club rides.
It's everywhere, and we should just put up, or shut up, right ??

Laugh along with 'the lads' or we're all just 'sourpusses' right??

First when I say "as men" I mean that it's impossible for us to comment from the female perspective. We can listen, we can repeat what we are told, and I would always do this with emphasis that I'm repeating views expressed by women to me, and we can at least try to understand.

I would suggest the discussion here should be about women and cycling it should not be broadened across society. If the discussion does broaden in this way it will be moved to NACA which is an issue for moderators and Shaun - I don't agree with such moves but accept the "rules."

The issues women come up against in society are reflected in cycling and vice versa but this isn't the forum for that wider discussion. Nothing any of us can do about this as it's not our forum.

Regarding the last two sentences the answer is of course not. Women should be free to act as they wish and should not have to be one of the lads or be cast as surpasses. Something I feel I've made very clear on other occasions as my view.

I understand some of the problem and those parts I do not understand I accept as being true. Why? Simply because I've discussed the topic many times with many different women. I am far from alone amongst male cyclists in having this view and I can guarantee you I've taken male riders to task over such issues and I'll continue to do so.

I try and I think it's the best I can offer.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
First when I say "as men" I mean that it's impossible for us to comment from the female perspective. We can listen, we can repeat what we are told, and I would always do this with emphasis that I'm repeating views expressed by women to me, and we can at least try to understand.

I would suggest the discussion here should be about women and cycling it should not be broadened across society. If the discussion does broaden in this way it will be moved to NACA which is an issue for moderators and Shaun - I don't agree with such moves but accept the "rules."

The issues women come up against in society are reflected in cycling and vice versa but this isn't the forum for that wider discussion. Nothing any of us can do about this as it's not our forum.

Regarding the last two sentences the answer is of course not. Women should be free to act as they wish and should not have to be one of the lads or be cast as surpasses. Something I feel I've made very clear on other occasions as my view.

I understand some of the problem and those parts I do not understand I accept as being true. Why? Simply because I've discussed the topic many times with many different women. I am far from alone amongst male cyclists in having this view and I can guarantee you I've taken male riders to task over such issues and I'll continue to do so.

I try and I think it's the best I can offer.

All good then 👍🏼

Milzy

Guru
We’ve got a few women on our chain gang & one is now crit racing. It’s great to see, but would be better to see more.

Top Bottom