Womens Only Rides - for novices and beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Anyone involved in running womens only rides for novices ?
How often, distance, numbers, etc, and how do you advertise ?

Also - (the answer might be obvious, but it has to be asked) - Is it OK to hold an event with female and male ride leaders ?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Why female only, why not just a novice ride ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Breeze rides from British Cycling, not involved and never been on one (as they seem to be held during the working day)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Anyone involved in running womens only rides for novices ?
How often, distance, numbers, etc, and how do you advertise ?

Also - (the answer might be obvious, but it has to be asked) - Is it OK to hold an event with female and male ride leaders ?

Me :biggrin: and my pals on Belles on Bikes Glasgow
We advertise on a Meetup page.
There are a few of us organizers, any ride leader can post a ride. To become a ride leader you must have attended the one day ride leader course, our group founder organizes this.
Usually we close the RSVP at about 20 for logistic reasons, a large group will have 2 ride leaders, one at the front, one at the back.
If the posted ride attracts lots of people, the poster will ask for help managing it, then another leader will come along too.
The rides are graded: yellow, green, blue - easy, medium, hard - according to distance and terrain.
Distance can be anything from a few miles around the park to 50 miles.
From time to time we join other groups with male riders: quite a few Belles have also joined Cycle Chat, the Glasgow Road Cycling meetup group or other local groups.
When we join the local Forestry Commission rides only women are allowed, but the ride leader is a man.
We are not adverse to let the odd husband on our rides, he then becomes a "Bello" on a bike :laugh:
Any more questions, feel free to ask :hello:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks Pat. Was it hard to get the project started ?
I did not start it: it was our founder Victoria.
You can email her through the Belles meetup page, find her under the organizers tab, I'm sure she'll be delighted to help!

Why women only? Seems a terrible shame to separate people. As mentioned earlier, why not different levels of experience, also, why male leaders, and, occasional husbands, surely defeats whole point? Seems to be some strange logic in organised rides generally, - got involved with local group, mixed, who were adamant that anyone could join, as they 'didn't go fast'. Perfectly demonstrated my point, by overtaking tail enders to then meet leaders, waiting for the rest of the group. To me pointless, as the fitter ones had to wait, and get cold, whilst slower riders, who were in need of a rest, never got one.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Why ask? This scheme has been a success in getting a lot of people on to bikes who felt they were not being catered for by existing clubs or groups.

Some people might wonder 'why not identify and fix the perceived problems with mixed rides rather than resort to segregated rides?'

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Some people might wonder 'why not identify and fix the perceived problems with mixed rides rather than resort to segregated rides?'
In a very abstract sense, I agree with that. However, in practice, it would hard to have a mixed ride that didn't have a majority of males and, because of this, there would still be a tendency for the men to impose their ethos on the ride, albeit unconsciously. I think a number of women would feel happier to find themselves in the majority on rides. Not all, of course, but a significant number.

Last edited:
Top Bottom