Womens Only Rides - for novices and beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
In a very abstract sense, I agree with that. However, in parctice, it would hard to have a mixed ride that didn't have a majority of males and, because of this, there would still be a tendency for the men to impose their ethos on the ride, albeit unconsciously. I think a number of women would feel happier to find themselves in the majority on rides. Not all, of course, but a significant number.
Are we talking purely testoterone ethos here (go fast and furious) or something else. I'm not disputing that female only rides might be a good idea, I'm just curious as to the exact problems that men create when they're a majority. :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Are we talking purely testoterone ethos here (go fast and furious) or something else. I'm not disputing that female only rides might be a good idea, I'm just curious as to the exact problems that men create when they're a majority. :smile:
I'll leave that for the womenfolk to answer while we have our post-prandial brandy and cigars.:whistle:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There's a place both for women-only rides and for mixed rides. Depending on the people involved, either can be effective in getting more women out on bikes - as can tandems, and couples going out together, and women just going out on their own.

As it happens, a couple of weeks ago we were out on our tandem, and until we came upon an all-male club ride we saw roughly equal numbers of men and women - solo and in pairs. This last weekend I was out on my own, and again there was numerical sex equality, including a very mixed (in all senses) club ride.

I am assuming in all this that getting more women on bikes is a good thing. If you're a dinosaur you might disagree.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Why women only?
Some people might wonder 'why not identify and fix the perceived problems with mixed rides rather than resort to segregated rides?'

It is a matter of competence, confidence and ride style.
Lots of ladies do not ride roads (scared), some are absolute beginners (most men know their gears at least ime!), some others like frequent stops to take pictures or simply don't have the stamina for the hilly rides.
Don't get me wrong, lots of Belles on Bikes do not attend the easy rides anymore, they have outgrown their hybrids, got a road bike, ride with the men's clubs and are on Strava.
Sometimes, depending on your level of cycling, riding with the guys spoils it for both parties.
I agree you are all perfect gentlemen, but why force a fast group, out to challenge themselves, to slow down? I have been known to do exactly this a couple of times :whistle: trying not to make it a habit :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We at Abingdon Freewheeling do them for novices (more accurately women plus suitably aged/experienced children) in the warmer part of the year and local club Didcot Phoenix do women only rides but not especially aimed at novices.
I think women only rides are a great way to help get more cyclists out on the road. As aid by Pat, many move-up to more established mixed rides which signifies success IMO.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Some people might wonder 'why not identify and fix the perceived problems with mixed rides rather than resort to segregated rides?'

...but then the girls will never get out on their bikes in the meantime. What is it with us blokes...tell us we can't do something and we're pissed, even though before we were told we couldn't do it we probably had no interest in doing it in the first place.

Not a case of 'blokes' doing or not doing anything! Just hate anything that smacks of stereotyping in any way. Perhaps I'm getting paranoid, but, in this day and age, just feel that everything should be available to all on merit, not age, sex etc etc. Blimey, I'll be buying a soap box next. Not that it's anything to do with this, but, it's perhaps just reading about Universities UK, who want to allow male/female segregation in some lectures, and it's bl00y 2013!!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This is possibly due to both female and male perceptions and comfort zones. I know many female riders that have come along to our women only club rides and subsequently join the club (we have a healthy, and ever increasing female membership and a notable evening out of the male to female membership ratio). Some now race, some ride on the mixed club rides, others stick to the female only rides (which are actually sort of mixed when you include one of 2 of us who will tag along to get a few extra miles in following our early morning training runs).

Developing equality is a process, a step change isn't going to happen.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not a case of 'blokes' doing or not doing anything! Just hate anything that smacks of stereotyping in any way. Perhaps I'm getting paranoid, but, in this day and age, just feel that everything should be available to all on merit, not age, sex etc etc. Blimey, I'll be buying a soap box next. Not that it's anything to do with this, but, it's perhaps just reading about Universities UK, who want to allow male/female segregation in some lectures, and it's bl00y 2013!!!!

Peace man! :rose:
You are welcome to come along to a Belles on Bikes ride, but don't moan if we keep you because of chatting, picture taking, hill walking instead of cycling and so on. :thumbsup:
Men are not banned from our group, they (mostly) choose not to join us.
Twice now I have invited beginner men to a beginners ride, they refused. One of them was forever moaning on this forum on how he could never find ride buddies because of fear of the roads and general unfitness.
Another (non cycle chatter) came on a CC Ecosse ride, had to give up after barely 3 miles. :whistle:
Anyhow, even the swimming pool has ladies only nights, so there :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
IMO, it is better for the sport to have women out on women's only rides, developing skills, fitness and confidence and being happy than not riding in a group at all, there is a great deal of enjoyment and more available from riding in a group context and if a womens only ride facilitates this, well then great.

If you live in an ideal world, which exists only in your head there will not be a need for such things! However, external to your head exists the real world where there is clearly a market (if not a need) for them and the net effect is far more positive than it is negative (I am yet to come across a negative tbh, if I have, then it was not substantial enough for me to be able to remember it).

Additionally, many womens rides and womens groups IME are not exclusive and men are welcome to participate (I participate in the womens section of the time trialling forum from time to time... not yet been slammed for it), but the balance is usually tipped much in favour of the female contingent (on the last one I am aware of, there was around 10-16 female riders and 2 male riders, including me - not certain of numbers as not all stayed at the cafe at the end, some people split off when nearing the cafe). Now I have been on couple of womens rides and did not feel at all uncomfortable (now I am not particularly socially minded and am awkward at the best of times, the kind of person who will give you a 1-2 word answer and then look away, so it is saying something when I felt completely at ease) and I get on well with at least a 2-3 of the regular riders, last time I rolled around somewhere near the back encouraging a couple of friends who are not particularly keen on hills, had a chat and a good laugh, then grabbed a coffee at the end and gave a little bit of a tutorial on using courses with a Garmin device to those who had asked. The onus is on you to to go into the ride with the aim of the ride clear in your mind. I simply tag along to get extra miles, have a chat and if required provide a supporting role.

Essentially, why women's only rides? Because there is a market for them. According to the success of our club's women's rides and other women's cycling initiatives, this is obvious. Since these have come along, the numbers of women in our club (and I would assume other local clubs based on race numbers and general observations etc) have increased drastically. As have the numbers of women racing in local leagues. If mixed novice rides (of which our club also run on a regular basis) were already providing what people want then the obvious increase in numbers result from around the launch of various womens initiatives simply would not have happened. Further, a local female rider has organised womens only race training sessions on a number of local crit circuits, all dates are over subscribed now. Mixed sessions organised by a local club in previous years never were over subscribed!

I also note that in our club of a committee comprised of 13 members, 4 are female, including the president and racing secretary. I believe our membership (of now over 350 members I believe) has a similar male to female ratio with around 30% being female and we are currently getting new members signing up with a ratio of about 1 female per 2 male. It may be even closer to 50:50 now, I would have to check with the membership secretary (who is also female).

Last edited:
Top Bottom