Women's Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Just seen this thread, I drove to Lydney yesterday and then cycled to the 2 QOM positions, at Worrells Hill & Speech House.
Lots of spectators watching the riders as they 'enjoyed' the Forest of Dean roads.

IMG_20220608_123602.jpg

IMG_20220608_132331_1.jpg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Risking boring you all silly, here are some finish line snaps from today. Firstly, just in case anyone still isn't sure what race this is:

View attachment 648111

I'd never stood next to a finishing sprint before. They're fast. The stage winner's bum flashes past:

View attachment 648112

A relaxed-looking Riejanne Markus rolling in at 30s:

View attachment 648113

And Marlen Reusser at 2:13. A beaming smile which has managed to combine perfectly with that of the spectator behind:

View attachment 648117

Outgoing yellow jersey Clara Copponi looking resigned to her fate:

View attachment 648118

Part of the final finishing group at 16:38, followed by the broom wagon:

Edit: This is actually the group finishing at 8:10 with Alice Barnes at the back.

View attachment 648119

View attachment 648120

I think the crowd held it's breath for a moment, but all was well:

View attachment 648121

Brilliant photos.... 📸 👍

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was desperately rooting for Kasia Niewiadoma today - she’s a fighter and hasn’t had a win for ages! Gutted for her!

Black Mountain tomorrow! Has anyone ridden it?
"Yes" is the short answer!

One of my weekend excursions used to be out from Bristol over the Gospel Pass to Llanddeusant YH, then back over Black Mountain and Bwlch yr Afan, down the Rhondda and back to Bristol the next day. At the time I regarded the Black Mountain climb from the north as a gentle warm-up. This would have been around 35 years ago, but I think I'd tackle it with fair confidence even now.

There are two big switchbacks with splendid views but no real teeth, and I'm anticipating a long uphill sprint. A finish at Speech House would have been much more intimidating.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I am planning to ride part of Saturday's route ahead of them... not just for the sake of it but because my normal Saturday morning ride coincidentally takes in part of the stage anyway, so I'll make a couple of minor tweaks to make it fully overlap and then see how my Strava times stack up! Then later I'll make an effort to pop out and see them past.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I am planning to ride part of Saturday's route ahead of them... not just for the sake of it but because my normal Saturday morning ride coincidentally takes in part of the stage anyway, so I'll make a couple of minor tweaks to make it fully overlap and then see how my Strava times stack up! Then later I'll make an effort to pop out and see them past.

I’ll be at the start, at Charlbury and at the end so I’ll cheer you on!

figbat

Slippery scientist
5E2CF000-0055-4FA9-9928-02135A440B3C.png

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Mrs T and I watched them cross the finishing line in Oxford. A reasonable crowd cheered them over the line and stayed for the presentations.

I was there too! I thought it was better than you make out! The crowd was good and enthusiastic, there was loads of energy!

I went to the start which was smaller but also enthusiastic and noisy! I caught them at Charlbury and then went to the end as well! A fantastic day out! I was amazed at how many people had come to watch women’s cycling!

Top Bottom