Women's Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dag Hammar

This photo taken close to the start line. Stage One, Colchester to Bury St Edmunds.

07CD8DF6-367E-4608-BF70-ED198BCF9D22.jpeg

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's all gone a bit odd. Race neutralised due to medical emergency on the route ahead. Will restart with 40km to go. It's going to be one heck of a sprint. I hope the rain holds off, else the cobbled corner in the last 300m will be dicey.

Tobi now walking the finish straight keeping the crowds happy.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's all gone a bit odd. Race neutralised due to medical emergency on the route ahead. Will restart with 40km to go. It's going to be one heck of a sprint. I hope the rain holds off, else the cobbled corner in the last 300m will be dicey.

Tobi now walking the finish straight keeping the crowds happy.

Is Tobi your dog?

Restart underway - running in neutralised section so they can all warm up and re-establish the gap for the lone breakaway

...I hope the rain holds off, else the cobbled corner in the last 300m will be dicey...

Never a truer word. Who on earth thought that was a suitable finale for a bunch sprint?! It looked like there was a shallow kerb part-way across the road on that left-hander... just after the row of parked cars! If they could tow away for Ride London, why didn't they bother for the Women's Tour?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not as bad as it looks on coverage, when you look at street view (oncoming traffic aside! :laugh:)
1654530494140.png

1654530515407.png

Not as bad as it looks on coverage, when you look at street view (oncoming traffic aside! :laugh:)
View attachment 647877

View attachment 647878

It wasn't that corner where they crashed though - it was the one before: from Sparhawk Street into Honey Hill, here:
1654535345852.png

The lead DSM rider, out of sight of the camera behind the house on the left, went from the inside of the bend to out of control and in the barriers on the outside of the bend.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Never a truer word. Who on earth thought that was a suitable finale for a bunch sprint?! It looked like there was a shallow kerb part-way across the road on that left-hander... just after the row of parked cars! If they could tow away for Ride London, why didn't they bother for the Women's Tour?
I agree about the towing but Suffolk is much less bike-friendly than London... and I don't think it had much to do with the crash. I think that's the same finish as used once or twice before without incident. The problem today seems like rider error entering the final S far too fast, maybe aided by a rest before riding the last 40km.

mjr

Is Tobi your dog?
:eek: Tobi is the TOur of BrItain mascot! Call yourself a racing fan???

Adam4868

Guru
I agree about the towing but Suffolk is much less bike-friendly than London... and I don't think it had much to do with the crash. I think that's the same finish as used once or twice before without incident. The problem today seems like rider error entering the final S far too fast, maybe aided by a rest before riding the last 40km.
Tight corner,pinch point and wet....recipe for disaster.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It wasn't that corner where they crashed though - it was the one before: from Sparhawk Street into Honey Hill, here:

The lead DSM rider, out of sight of the camera behind the house on the left, went from the inside of the bend to out of control and in the barriers on the outside of the bend.

Ah my bad, I was just looking at the footage they put up on twitter, all that was available to me at work, and they didn't show the crash.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That stop and restart must have completely ruined things for the breakaway rider. Not that she probably stood much chance of staying away anyway, but having to stop and cool down and lose rhythm must have put an end to her hopes.

Hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer today.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A pointless nit-picky question. Why is it called "The Women's Tour" and not "The Women's Tour of Britain"? I'm sure it used to be called "The Women's ToB".

Not having the "of Britain" loses some of its identity. When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the UCI Women's World Tour ranking points. That's my problem, not anyone else's, as I now realise.

Not that it matters, now I do know what it's called.

Last edited:
Top Bottom