Women's Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A pointless nit-picky question. Why is it called "The Women's Tour" and not "The Women's Tour of Britain"? I'm sure it used to be called "The Women's ToB".

Not having the "of Britain" loses some of its identity. When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the UCI Women's World Tour ranking points. That's my problem, not anyone else's, as I now realise.

Not that it matters, now I do know what it's called.

Does it need to be called the Britain bit ? It is in Britain so it's fairly obvious ? Maybe.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does it need to be called the Britain bit ? It is in Britain so it's fairly obvious ? Maybe.

Well it isn't obvious that it's in Britain unless you know what it being referred to.

Someone says "The Women's Tour" and you don't automatically say "Oh, that race in Britain".

People might think it's the Tour de France Femmes (after all The Tour is the TdF) or maybe the UCI Women's World Tour as I did.

Most other races have their location somewhere in their names.

Not a big deal. Just me worrying about trivial aspects of language as usual.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well it isn't obvious that it's in Britain unless you know what it being referred to.

Someone says "The Women's Tour" and you don't automatically say "Oh, that race in Britain".

People might think it's the Tour de France Femmes (after all The Tour is the TdF) or maybe the UCI Women's World Tour as I did.

Most other races have their location somewhere in their names.

Not a big deal. Just me worrying about trivial aspects of language as usual.

I'm with you on this, they will also need to rename MJR's dog from TOBi to just Ti:okay:

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think it’s odd not having some reference to Britain in the name too. When saying to friends that I’m going to watch on Saturday, I find myself automatically saying ‘women’s tour of Britain’ to explain it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And what is driving me BONKERS is presenters saying Tour de France Femmes as ‘Fems’ instead of the French way of saying it as ‘Fam’.

Commentators can't win. Look at the stick Rob Hatch gets for pronouncing things correctly. Bloody polyglot.

But back to the Women's Tour of somewhere unspecified. I think Lorena Wiebes likes Essex - after cleaning up in the Classique.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, which I know is inconsistent! As a former supermarket employee, I find the added s of Tesco’s equally aggravating so clearly I’m just pernickety!

My wife hates the fact that I always call Boots the Chemist "Bootses". I have no idea why I say that. Other than to be annoying, that is.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Risking boring you all silly, here are some finish line snaps from today. Firstly, just in case anyone still isn't sure what race this is:

WT22_a.jpg

I'd never stood next to a finishing sprint before. They're fast. The stage winner's bum flashes past:

WT22_c.jpg

A relaxed-looking Riejanne Markus rolling in at 30s:

WT22_d.jpg

And Marlen Reusser at 2:13. A beaming smile which has managed to combine perfectly with that of the spectator behind:

WT22_e.jpg

Outgoing yellow jersey Clara Copponi looking resigned to her fate:

WT22_f.jpg

Part of the final finishing group at 16:38, followed by the broom wagon:

Edit: This is actually the group finishing at 8:10 with Alice Barnes at the back.

WT22_g.jpg

WT22_h.jpg

I think the crowd held it's breath for a moment, but all was well:

WT22_i.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom