Won a Helmet..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Allison

For someone that never wins - I have finally won something - a cycle helmet worth £50 from my LBS.

They started a Facebook page and had a draw from the first 100 likes.

Will go and choose in the week- should i be looking for any one in particular. Don't know much about whats good etc.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Specialized ones meet the snell standard unlike some. Other than that choose the one that a) fits properly and b) you like the look of

Biker Joe

Über Member
Congratulations.:wahhey:
Freebies are good.
Can't help with the helmets though. I don't know much about them either.
However,should be a good helmet for that price.
Good result.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The best helmet for you will be the one that fits the best. Try them on and find which one you are most comfortable wearing, even if it's not the full £50 :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
go for comfort over name if you ever intend to wear it. They are not all set to a uniform 'bowl' shape or size inside and you need one that your head will be happy to be stuffed into for maybe hours at a time. Try it on, set the straps and inner head grip bit and wander around for a few minutes wearing it.

My £30 Bell is far far more suitable for my nut than a £100 Specialzed one I tried that felt like I was in a medieval instrument of torture after a couple of minutes.

edit - for this type of year as well, get one that has some leeway on the adjustment to make the head grippy bit wider to accommodate a balaclava, buff or hat under there too.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Helmets ! Grrrr. I recently came of my bike and broke my helmet, (glad it wasn't my head.)
That evening I went on line to buy a new one. after placing my order I was drowning my sorrows with a bottle of red wine, and then ordered another bloody helmet. :cheers: The evils of drink Baaahhh

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Hope you're ok.
Only my pride was hurt:angel:

More gris
Helmets ! Grrrr. I recently came of my bike and broke my helmet, (glad it wasn't my head.)
That evening I went on line to buy a new one. after placing my order I was drowning my sorrows with a bottle of red wine, and then ordered another bloody helmet. :cheers: The evils of drink Baaahhh
t for the helmet debate...!

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Probably too late but some manufacturers do a crash replacement scheme, Bell do but I've never used it.

Nice one Dan A.
As with others go for fit and feel rather than aesthetics.

I have a Giro Monza medium and I am just borderline medium and large so its lovely and snug, feels just right, but when I get to 2-months since my last haircut it goes a bit tight.
I tried larger helmets and different designs ( would like a hedgehog type) but can'tf ind one as comfortable as I want. Specialized seemed the worst.

lulubel

Über Member
Specialized ones meet the snell standard unlike some. Other than that choose the one that a) fits properly and b) you like the look of

I chose Specialized for this reason. There doesn't seem much point in buying a piece of protective equipment, and then not buying the one with the highest level of testing (at least to me).

Dan_h

FWIW I would just go along to the shop and ask them to help you out, they put up the prize so are probably expecting you to. You just need one that fits right and looks how you want (okay, I know people will say don't worry about aesthetics but a helmet that you wear will offer you more protection than one that is super safe but resides in the cupboard because you just don't like it!).

Chat with the people in the shop and try a few on.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Nice one Dan A.
As with others go for fit and feel rather than aesthetics.

I have a Giro Monza medium and I am just borderline medium and large so its lovely and snug, feels just right, but when I get to 2-months since my last haircut it goes a bit tight.

I am the same , i had a large until i went no2 on the hair clippers and then it was a bit loose, so bought a meduim , but medium is to small for putting a thermal or hat under, so ended up using the large for winter and the medium for summer.

Top Bottom