Wonky BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I leave my BB work to the LBS - this one has been replaced a few times by them and I noticed it's loose.
Investigated it now and it all looks a bit wrong.

Any idea what needs to be done to get this all tightened up ? I think I might need a new mechanic.

Even if I tightened it up as much as I can - it's still loose. And the washer ? Very bent.

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_124309.jpg
    IMG_20220614_124309.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220614_124317.jpg
    IMG_20220614_124317.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220614_124807.jpg
    IMG_20220614_124807.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3

rivers

How far can I go?
The bent washer comes with the BB- that is normal.
What do you mean by the BB is loose?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is the BB loose in the shell, or is the crank arm loose on the BB axle, it sounds like the latter to me, otherwise the chainring side would move too surely?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s an Octalink isn’t it? If it has t been torqued correctly to quite a high setting, don’t know what it is, last time it was refitted it’s possible the steel spindle has damaged soft alloy crank arms. Once this happens play will always be present. This I understand is quite a common problem with Octalink system and the reason Shimano discontinued it.
Might be the bearings of course. Can you feel play when you move the spindle?

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Is the BB loose in the shell, or is the crank arm loose on the BB axle, it sounds like the latter to me, otherwise the chainring side would move too surely?

Yes the chainring side seems secure. I think it's a bike shop job.

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
That’s an Octalink isn’t it? If it has t been torqued correctly to quite a high setting, don’t know what it is, last time it was refitted it’s possible the steel spindle has damaged soft alloy crank arms. Once this happens play will always be present. This I understand is quite a common problem with Octalink system and the reason Shimano discontinued it.
Might be the bearings of course. Can you feel play when you move the spindle?

The bike is about ten years old so could be an obsolete system. I think I'll drop it off at the shop. Ta.

si_c

Guru
It looks to me like an FSA BB386 system. The wave washer is supposed to be bent and sits inboard of the left hand crank and takes up the slack between the frame and crankarm. A small amount of play is, in my experience, normal no matter how tightly you do the bolt up, I've always had a mm or so of play. In practice you don't notice it when riding, the wave washer does a good job of keeping things lined up.

You basically don't need to worry about any lateral movement, just any play that is perpendicular to the crank axle in which case you may need a new BB.

Top Bottom