Won't see bike coppers whilst commuting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

From that news article:

"They will be given supplementary advice regarding the Highway Code and safe riding and we will support anybody who has concerns about continuing to patrol on their bikes

That statement bothers me. Surely any copper out on a bicycle should have been taught safe road positioning before going out there anyway? How can they set a good example if they're starting out clueless?

Road Fiddler

Give every copper on a bike a copy of cyclecraft, get them out for some training and give them a written and practical exam before they are allowed out.

And, give them the power to ticket other road users that are not considerate to cyclists. I understand only traffic officers can issue penalties for driving offenses at the moment.

I know some police forces give some basic bike handling skills but very few do anything towards road handling skills

Oh dear. That's bad news. As if we needed anything to send out "cycling is dangerous!" messages.
Mind you I saw a few CSPOs out on bikes around Wolverhampton a few months back and their roadcraft was truly appalling. It was obvious that neither of them had been on a bike since they were kids and that they were happier wobbling around on the pavement than being on the road where they should have been. But banning them from bikes isn't going to solve anything.xx(

Cab

Yep, I have to agree Rythm Thief. If they're bad cyclists to begin with then theres the problem right there.

I get a regular email updates from our PCs and PCSOs, its a local scheme to keep in touch with locals in these parts, a sort of electronic community policing. And sure enough, in amongst the warnings about local crime sprees and information on arrests for drug crimes, there are regular updates on cycling. And some of the advice they give out is just awful, they've got no idea. I've offered to lend them cyclecraft, but alas they've not said yes.

Cab

News just in!

Police in Manchester are no longer to be alowed to drive anywher. Thats after one PCSO had a slight accident in a panda car, biting his tongue when he stopped sharply at a traffic light. All Police cars in the Greater Manchester area are to be impounded until Police officers are trained in driving without having their tongues sticking out.

The more I think about it, the more utterly ridiculous this story is. It isn't 'health and safety gone mad', its Plod gone stupid.

I feel very much for the family of the bloke who died, but lets get a sense of perspective. A policeman dies in a car crash, they don't take all the cars off the road. Policeman dies when shot, they don't take all armed response units out of action. The response to a tragedy needs to be proportionate to the real risk, and that involves thought and judgement. Kneejerk reactions like this should have no place in policing.

atbman

Veteran
Manchester Police management are derelict in their duty. There is a highly effective International Police Mountainbike Association course, specifically designed for cycling police and any officer expected to use a bike should be put through it.

After all, they don't let police drivers out without any training.

Top Bottom