Woodcote high school minibus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've had some awesome few weeks with very little serious incidences. Just the odd smidsy.

But i felt this one was taking the pee. I'm unsure if the driver would have done any different if i was something bigger. I wasn't going slow enough that i would have held him up for ages, just a few seconds.
Very impatient and very dangerous.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZsOhVcgf8

That was close! I tend to expect that behaviour unfortunately :-(

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
I love the lacquered carbon effect that is in the background at the start - was that the effect you was looking for? If so then chapeau.
Yes, and thank you.

Well actually it's just one of the better backgrounds on iMovie. But still thanks

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As i've discussed before (i believe with you, but correct me if i'm wrong) the camera only shows the direction i'm looking, and not what my eyes are focused on.

If i had seen them as soon as they are visible in the camera, then i would have adjusted my speed to do as you say and then just get on. As i would have done if i was in a car. I can't recall what i was doing but i certainly didn't see him as early as he is visible in the video. I appreciate your input on what i could do to avoid this. and i agree with you.
I don't think it's disputiable that his driving isn't of the best quality.

Can you think of anything that is applicable to this situation in the HC? it's a grey area and i do feel that what i quoted does cover this situation (ok it's no single track road) due to the parked cars on either side, it's not like each car is on one side.

StuartG

slower but further
I agree - IMHO you were both in the wrong. This was an ideal area for negotiation and timing so you both pass safely without stopping where one side is unobstructed. I didn't sense that happen at all. It looked more like chicken to me. To expect the other to give way and not have a contingency is not a safe way to ride/drive no matter who has precedence. When you are the most vulnerable it is just plain silly.

Sorry Gaz, but look at it again and explain to me where *I am wrong*

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User3143 said:
It's not a single track road. That is a your normal bog standard road with parked cars. Very grey area with respect to your quoting of the HC at the start (because it's not a single track road).

Yes, it is. The line markings (or lack) are there for a reason, mister stupid in the van ignores them and what is more is going far too fast as well as not giving way to someone going up hill.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
StuartG said:
Sorry Gaz, but look at it again and explain to me where *I am wrong*
I haven't said that you are wrong, or that i was right. I know what i did wrong and i agreed with Lee's statement. As cyclist we are up there as a vulnerable road user, and we have to look out for our selfs. I didn't do my best in this situation but i did still swerve out of his way to avoid a collision (which is much more than can be said for him)

As i said, the driving was still less than desirable. No need to try and bully a vunerable road user off the road.

marinyork

User3143 said:
The HC states that if a parked vehicle is on your side of the road then you have to give way. And imo you can see that the van is going to come through from a fair distance (30-31secs), would it of really hurt just to pull over to the left behind the Estate? Touch the brakes maybe even perform a trackstand that the kids will look at and think 'cool' while the van drives on past rather then trying to meet the van head on?

The parked cars are on both sides. As the van barges through at the point where he's had to overtake the car, he is in the wrong. Funnily enough the people painting the white lines thought about this...

marinyork

-Too fast
-should have given way to something going up hill
-should have been cautious as it was a single track road at that point
-should have given way due to the car blocking his side
-should have given way as he was heading to a junction
-should have given way to a vurnerable road user on an obstructed narrow road.
-should have shown consideration for all of the above and that there were 2 vehicles coming the other way

the driver is a first class numpty.

StuartG

slower but further
Forgive me Gaz, it is still a surprise when any road user admits to any imperfection. Yet re-analysing our less than optimal moments is the only way to learn and improve.

Something tells me he won't be doing that unless one of the kids takes him to task. And if any have done the bikeability and was watching - that could have happened. Would that be poetic justice!

marinyork

That sort of behaviour by the driver is exactly the sort up and down the land where people joust wing mirrors or get nasty scrapes or worse. It's much more stupid on a hill and needless when they are going towards a junction anyway.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
StuartG said:
Forgive me Gaz, it is still a surprise when any road user admits to any imperfection. Yet re-analysing our less than optimal moments is the only way to learn and improve.

Thats one reason why i got a camera, it aids it learning and improving your safety. Opinons from other cyclists are valuable and without video footage it's hard to get anything worth while.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
StuartG said:
I agree - IMHO you were both in the wrong. This was an ideal area for negotiation and timing so you both pass safely without stopping where one side is unobstructed. I didn't sense that happen at all. It looked more like chicken to me. To expect the other to give way and not have a contingency is not a safe way to ride/drive no matter who has precedence. When you are the most vulnerable it is just plain silly.

I agree with this 100 % Lack of courtesy by both parties

dondare

Über Member
marinyork said:
-Too fast
-should have given way to something going up hill
-should have been cautious as it was a single track road at that point
-should have given way due to the car blocking his side
-should have given way as he was heading to a junction
-should have given way to a vurnerable road user on an obstructed narrow road.
-should have shown consideration for all of the above and that there were 2 vehicles coming the other way

the driver is a first class numpty.

Watched the video; read the posts; this one sums it up.
Driver in the wrong.

Top Bottom