Woodhead Pass Closures June 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve noticed motorway signs advising that Woodhead is closed overnight Monday to Thursday for a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any idea if it’s cycle-able? I know when Snake has been closed in the past sometimes it’s been ok to cycle/ ride horses / walk up there and it is lovely. But equally sometimes it’s “properly” closed with no access at all.
It’s slightly too far from home for me to speculatively go and have a look but if it’s definitely ok to cycle on I’d quite like a ride up there. Looks like it’s about 14 miles of road from Flouch roundabout to Glossop?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Highways England is saying it is closed between 8pm and 6am. Which to my mind suggests it is "properly" closed, as doing overnight work means more time constraints on the contractors.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is true. If it's windy or cold, it's closed. It's almost as if Snake and Woodhead are not appropriate roads to connect two of the largest cities in the country :-)
Get that Woodhead tunnel reopened!

Snake and Woodhead are a winter nightmare. Really long with no diverts off, really high and really exposed. If it's windy as well as snowy it's almost impossible to keep a 10 mile stretch of road over 1000ft up clear

Top Bottom