Woolwich Foot tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
there have been moments when the ferry was not running and it always seems to coincide with a broken lift on the UP side of the journey . not insurmountable but takes the shine off an expensive refurb

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You can take a bike on the DLR off peak, so depending on your route that could be an option to get you across the river.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is the Woolwich foot tunnel the same design as the Greenwich tunnel? When I was a regular user of the Greenwich tunnel the lifts were persistently unreliable so lugging the recumbent up or down the stairs was routine. Not great, but doable.
The lifts did go through a period of bad reliability. They're better now though never 100% reliable. Both tunnels' lift and stairs are pretty similar though I think the Woolwich one is less deep, certainly not like the 100 steps in the Greenwich one.

Recycle

Über Member
The lifts did go through a period of bad reliability. They're better now though never 100% reliable. Both tunnels' lift and stairs are pretty similar though I think the Woolwich one is less deep, certainly not like the 100 steps in the Greenwich one.
IMO the advantages of using the foot tunnels outweigh the occasional inconvenience of lift unreliability. It wouldn't stop me from using them, especially if it gave me independence from a rail or ferry crossing, which locks you to their schedule and adds far greater inconvenience.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
They definitely look like identical builds. The Woolwich tunnel is right next to the ferry, so choosing the ferry instead isn't much of a hardship but the down side is that the cars are converging on the area. Not riding through the Greenwich tunnel is adhered to by about 25% of the bicycles that go through it. The cable car is also a crossing option, although it won't save you as many miles as the DLR or overground would and will cost you the same price.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The Woolwich Ferry is very cycle friendly too. They always let bikes on and off the boats before the cars.
I didn't find this, we used it after the Freecycle last year and were forced to carry the bikes downstairs, stand around with the peeps and then carry them back up afterwards. Was a pain in the butt to be honest.

rb58

Enigma
I didn't find this, we used it after the Freecycle last year and were forced to carry the bikes downstairs, stand around with the peeps and then carry them back up afterwards. Was a pain in the butt to be honest.
How odd. Did you line up in front of the cars? Sounds like you went with the pedestrians. I've used the ferry many, many times and never had a bad experience.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Ask any of the Sunday London Riders and you'll find that is an exception. I have never heard or seen that before and I have used the ferry by bike more times then I can ever remember. @rb58 @Aperitif @User10571

Trickedem

Guru
I use the tunnel once a week or so and the lifts are still unreliable. There is very little foot traffic through it, so whilst cycling maybe against the rules, I think it is socially acceptable, although there are reports of PCSOs fining people.

rb58

Enigma
But depends what time you get there as now it's to a set timetable. Out of time and you will have a 2 hour wait.
No service across at Dartford between 9.00 and 10.30 (am and pm) or between 2 and 3 (am and pm). Other than that, it's on demand with waiting time anything from one minute, to half an hour depending on how busy they are.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think that may have been our mistake, it was a busy day for cars though, there's a possibility we were 'directed' that way.

Still very strange, we have used the ferry when there's been miles of queuing and more busy then a busy thing. We just go to the front and stand in front of the barriers. It has never been a problem and have certainly never been directed.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Will try that the next time we're using it then. Although it's unlikely to be before August...

I remember thinking it was a bit odd, but we were all a bit tired and just thinking about getting back to Greenwich at that point (we'd dropped down from Excel) and didn't bother questioning it.

Top Bottom