Woolwich Foot tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

The lifts did go through a period of bad reliability. They're better now though never 100% reliable. Both tunnels' lift and stairs are pretty similar though I think the Woolwich one is less deep, certainly not like the 100 steps in the Greenwich one.
Hmmmmm........
You sure?
The river is wider, and deeper at that point - which would suggest more stairs and a longer tunnel.
The latter I can definitely attest to as, the last time I walked through there with Pippa, the words 'When the f*ck is this going to end?* Or similar were uttered - I don't remember counting the stairs - I do remember the lift wasn't working.
The very first time I used the Woolwich Ferry with a bike I went downstairs into steerage.
It is the wrong thing to do, I have never done this since.
Stay on deck. You'll be happier and better looked after there.

We LOVE the ferry! Zip to the front, get directed on board. Do the helpful cyclist bit, edging motons nearer their stopping points. Regaling the crowds waving us off as the ramp ascends, simultaneously with the ferry accelerating and turning...the perfect visual treat, more waves of the liquid sort and then 'kerplunk!' The gate and ramp do a clanging act before we roll off - first again! Best at higher tide too. (Then it's bomb it along to Greenwich, up the slope and into the café where TallMart buys us all tea, coffee and beer - for he is a Northerner of generous disposition. Well, he did it once and got locked under the stairs for two days...)
I agree with @ianrauk ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hmmmmm........
You sure?
The river is wider, and deeper at that point - which would suggest more stairs and a longer tunnel.
No, I'm not sure and even less sure after reading that the North shaft has 126 steps! And I'm not going to walk down simply to count the south shaft.

The river is definitely wider but I'm not sure wider means deeper. I'd expect the river to be deepest when it's constrained by higher surrounding land or where there's a marked bend, tending to make for a deeper channel nearer the outside of the bend. Greenwich reach has a pronounced bend, North Greenwich has a big bend too and, if you ever pass at low tide, you'll see that there's a wide ''beach'' of sediment on the inside of the bend. There is no bend between the barrier and Woolwich foot tunnel - it's a straight east-west course.

rb58

Enigma
No, I'm not sure and even less sure after reading that the North shaft has 126 steps! And I'm not going to walk down simply to count the south shaft.

The river is definitely wider but I'm not sure wider means deeper.
I think i spotted you yesterday Chris. I was wandering in the general vicinity of the Meantime brewery when you went past. Which was funny really because I was with my kids and whenever a cyclists goes past they always say "do you know him?". And on this occasion I surprised them by saying "yes".

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think i spotted you yesterday Chris. I was wandering in the general vicinity of the Meantime brewery when you went past. Which was funny really because I was with my kids and whenever a cyclists goes past they always say "do you know him?". And on this occasion I surprised them by saying "yes".
Oh, that's very possible. If it was late afternoon you may have noticed I was on a shared pedestrian/cycle path I've never used before but that was because there was no saddle on the bike - bolt with a stripped thread. And the effort of trying to remember not to sit down on a saddle-less bike for 10 miles plus the difficulties of signalling out of the saddle and gear changing - bar end shifters - were just about doing my head in, and made me feel safer taking a path I've never used before. Not surprised I didn't see you. If it was a few hours earlier, there weren't many people about from what I can remember so, in that case, surprised I didn't see you.

Curious that when the brewery had gone to the trouble of opening up their ''tasting rooms'' on the tunnel approach road they sold out almost immediately afterwards. Opening it up suggested a good interest in developing their business, and selling suggested more of business fatigue to me.

U

User10571

The river is definitely wider but I'm not sure wider means deeper. I'd expect the river to be deepest when it's constrained by higher surrounding land or where there's a marked bend, tending to make for a deeper channel nearer the outside of the bend. Greenwich reach has a pronounced bend, North Greenwich has a big bend too and, if you ever pass at low tide, you'll see that there's a wide ''beach'' of sediment on the inside of the bend. There is no bend between the barrier and Woolwich foot tunnel - it's a straight east-west course.
On reflection, I think you are right, Chris - about the added depth on the outside of river bends.
I used to think that the river, at the point of the Greenwich foot tunnel, must be pretty shallow. (Based on the misconception that if it is quiet enough when you are walking through the tunnel, you can hear the engines of boats as they go overhead)
This couldn't be further from the truth - as it is actually one of the deepest points of the river - hence you get the RN and cruise ships parked up outside Waitrose - equally, at low tide, there is substantial beach/foreshore exposed outside the Elephant Royale on the Isle of Dogs.

Tin Pot

Guru
Greenwich tunnel is nice, but it is very rude to cycle in the foot tunnel.

Come over that way and enjoy a ride through the park while you're there :smile:

The route to Bromley is a bit boring though TBH.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On reflection, I think you are right, Chris - about the added depth on the outside of river bends.
I used to think that the river, at the point of the Greenwich foot tunnel, must be pretty shallow. (Based on the misconception that if it is quiet enough when you are walking through the tunnel, you can hear the engines of boats as they go overhead)
This couldn't be further from the truth - as it is actually one of the deepest points of the river - hence you get the RN and cruise ships parked up outside Waitrose - equally, at low tide, there is substantial beach/foreshore exposed outside the Elephant Royale on the Isle of Dogs.
Morning User10571, allow me to be wrong again! Broader and almost a metre deeper - http://www.harbourguides.com/charts.php/River-Thames-East

Recycle

Über Member
Greenwich tunnel is nice, but it is very rude to cycle in the foot tunnel.
It pisses of others using the tunnel, even if you scoot your bike. It's frustrating walking in the tunnels when you have a perfectly good bike at your disposal, and we all know how much cyclists looove walking, but it's a mindset thing. Walking only adds a minute or so onto your journey.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K

You were around 200 metres from my (until they relocate us to Eltham because of building works) office then.

Tin Pot

Guru
It pisses of others using the tunnel, even if you scoot your bike. It's frustrating walking in the tunnels when you have a perfectly good bike at your disposal, and we all know how much cyclists looove walking, but it's a mindset thing. Walking only adds a minute or so onto your journey.

Plus you get more time to consider the experience of the tunnel collapsing and your desperate but ultimately futile attempt to escape.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If I'm reading that chart correctly (and there's nothing to say that I am - land lubber, by blood group) the bit of river outside Waitrose in Greenwich where they park the boats is 9m deep - at least a couple of metres more than north of (the narrower) Blackwall point.
That's how I read it too, though I don't understand the subscript numbers. I've assumed that they are decimal points but I don't know why they've used that convention.

Top Bottom