Word of the Day

Is this a Good Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ohh, I love words!
Of course you all know that the previous examples derive from the ancient Greek? :becool:
I'm ancient - but not Greek :surrender:

Oikophobia.......according to Wikipedia in psychiatric usage oikophobia typically refers to fear of the physical space of the home interior, and is especially linked to fear of household appliances, cooker hoods, baths, electrical equipment and other aspects of the home perceived to be potentially dangerous.

Sounds like it should be called Ikeaphobia.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Onomatopoeia - A word that mimics the sound of the object or action it refers to.

examples... drip, bang, whiff, baa, meow.
I was listening to that on the radio last night. Sung repeatedly by the Coconuts (backing Kid Creole) on the song 'Annie, I'm not your daddy.'

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was accused of being a Sesquipedalophile by @threebikesmcginty

I had to look up the meaning of the word....so that's a tautology isn't it? Or is that an oxymoron?
It's an enigriddlema. (A riddle wrapped up in an enigma.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sounds like it should be called Ikeaphobia.

I've quite literally got that. Had something close to a panic attack in the wretched place but managed to keep a lid on it just enough to not kick open the alarmed fire door no doubt causing a scene but did barge down the up escalator mumbling "got to get out, got to get out" whilst being glowered at by folk coming up. Apparently I was as white as a sheet when I got home. Ended up paying £10 postage for the £3 cabinet handle I needed. What is particularly irritiating is the whole episode is deliberate psychological manipulation. In nearly 40 years of caving I've never felt claustrophobic once, even on some unwisely tight adventures. Hey ho. I shan't be visiting another Ikea, which is their loss as I actually like their stuff.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back on topic I do like the splendid Scots / Lallans word "outwith" - meaning something a bit like "notwithstanding" or "apart from". A great word with no satisfactory English English equivalent and fills a need I didn't know I had till I first heard it. My Scotish neighbour was told off for using it in a document with the complaint "that's not a word. It's two words joined together but used wrongly". He made extra effort to use it at every opportunity thereafter.

Top Bottom