Wordle with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Slight spoiler? OK, I'll just say that today's answer is in a category of words which makes my blood boil.

Wordle 1,010 4/6

🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Slight spoiler? OK, I'll just say that today's answer is in a category of words which makes my blood boil.

Why so? It's a bit archaic maybe but it's a decent enough word.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I doubt that the good folks of the NYT contemplated for a second it's use before "forth".

It's only really got one meaning - and that's an attack, either military (as in sally forth) or - and I'd never heard of this variant until I looked it up - a verbal attack or smart comment.

Can't think of anything else they might have been thinking of.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No, not a wrong guess. A wrong assumption. I had assumed that the Words in Wordle might be in English. Silly me. I look forward to Indonesian, Xhosa, and Swahili words being thrown in at random.
If they're in common usage, and found in all the English dictionaries, why not? How would you feel about: Bagel, blitz, lasso, pizza or sauna? (Yiddish, German, Spanish, Italian, Finnish)

Given that you took against the entirely inoffensive "sally", I suspect you're just taking it out on the setters when it turns out not to be what you were hoping.

I know how you feel. I've been wanting to be Acorn ever since it started. It never has been. :sad:

MikeG

Guru
I was wrong over Sally. I wasn't wrong over SNAFU, and this bit of nonsense today. And ***** isn't in my dictionary. 'tweren't for this thread I'd have forgotten about it 10 hours ago! :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was wrong over Sally. I wasn't wrong over SNAFU, and this bit of nonsense today. And ***** isn't in my dictionary. 'tweren't for this thread I'd have forgotten about it 10 hours ago! :smile:

most languages borrow words from others, that how language evolves.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks. So any word in any language. Great. Wordle is going to be so much more interesting now that Icelandic and Bantu are fair game.

Great is a possible answer.
Icelandic has more than 5 letters.
Bantu is fair game, as in a valid 5 letter word, although not in the wordle "answer" database, so would be a wasted guess.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks. So any word in any language. Great. Wordle is going to be so much more interesting now that Icelandic and Bantu are fair game.

Icelandic words in English usage are geyser and saga but neither has five letters. I suppose we may get sagas but plurals tend not to be used.

From Bantu we might have banjo and gumbo In fact I have a suspicion that we may already have had at least one of those already. I have a vague memory of gumbo, but that might have been Quordle.

The key thing is - is it in English usage, and is it in the dictionary? I have no idea what dictionary they use - but a common sense approach should suffice. The mega Oxford and Webster dictionaries will definitely have all of those. All of voila, snafu and the dreaded homer fulfil the commonsense definition. Oh, and US alternate spelling is entirely fair game. Get over it.

In fact I find that Wordle does tend to go for the non-obscure words most commonly. If all bets were off and absolutely any 5 letter word, excluding proper nouns, was fair game in any form - singular or plural and any verb form - (as it is for serious Scrabble nerds) it would be much, much harder. We'd have all kinds of obscure stuff and would need more than 6 goes.

I once, years ago, played Scrabble with a Scrabble nerd. Naturally I lost, badly. Some of the stuff they come up with is really bizarre. My only solace was that she couldn't believe the speed with which I added up the scores at the end without using a calculator. They don't teach those skills any more apparently. She had to re-check it, tap tap tap on a calculator. I was right, of course.

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Great is a possible answer.
Icelandic has more than 5 letters.
Bantu is fair game, as in a valid 5 letter word, although not in the wordle "answer" database, so would be a wasted guess.

Why are you doing this? Why would you turn a conversation about a trivial word game into some sort of patronising lecture/ point scoring exercise? I'm watching your answer closely, as it will affect forum settings within my control. I don't need childish nonsense as part of my daily routine.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Viola: no and no. OK? Can we end the conversation here?

Mais non...
1712571722900.png

[ https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/voila ]

et voilΓ ! ;)

Ooh lΓ  lΓ 

But yeah, I think we can end the conversation or else it will go on for ever.

Top Bottom