Wordle with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Ever since Wordle started I have really wanted the answer to be Acorn, because it's such a nice word. I don't think its come up yet. I sometimes start with that - just out of hope. Sometimes others ...

Likewise I often start with CRYPT.

Willd

Veteran
I generally use OLIVE, then if none of those letters come up SMART, SHAFT etc. I have got it in one on one occasion, but I can't remember what that was. OLIVE has also come up, but not on a day I did it :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I used to start with OUIJA a lot. I don't any more. Not for any scientific reason, I just got bored with it. It failed to magically turn me into a Wordling superhero.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't get the obsession with wanting to find / eliminate as many vowels as possible 1st up, both audio and ouija don't include "E" the most common letter. The best starter words have 5 of the most common letters in them, which doesn't include U

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't get the obsession with wanting to find / eliminate as many vowels as possible 1st up, both audio and ouija don't include "E" the most common letter. The best starter words have 5 of the most common letters in them, which doesn't include U

I tried EEEEK but it wouldn't let me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I must confess (not as an opening shot) to always trying "Fanny" if it will fit on wordle or wordle clone games. It was correct once or quordle or octordle!

Minge has some promise.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Googling "best starter word for wordle" gets you a lot of articles which all make this questionable assumption. There's a lot to find out at the start, and establishing for sure whether E is present or not doesn't have to be your number one priority.

If AUDIO is your starter, and you find that none of the vowels are present, that is good information. You might try TENSE next, and you should have a decent shot at a 3 whatever happens. More likely at least one of the other vowels is present, and you decide whether to bring in E at round 2.

When I started, I didn't worry too much about how many attempts I was taking. Speed and ease were my main priorities. Unless I could see a likely word on round 2 or 3, I would use PANSY, RIDGE and MOUTH, after which the answer was often immediately evident and I'd usually get a 4 or a 5 in well under a minute. Clearly this strategy won't optimise your scores, but it still seems a decent plan if you're looking to minimise the risk of failure.

I then became conscious that my average was looking pretty bad, so I set about trying to optimise my scoring. TRADE became my starter until that scored me a 1 on November 6th 2023, after which I started using an anagram. My second word is usually SLING. From a position where my 3s lagged well behind my 5s, they're now nearly 100 ahead. My 3s won't be overtaking my 4s anytime soon though...

PANSY is an interesting one. It might not look like a particularly good wordle starter, but if your objective is to maximise your chance of getting a 2, I think it's pretty handy. If you get an orange Y that's a big bonus - I got TRYST in 2 once, with some confidence. Amongst other words you can get immediately are APNEA, STYLE, PYLON and PSALM, making it an excellent starter for a game like sixty-fourdle. But I've no doubt there are better ones.

Brandane

Legendary Member
On starter words, SHITE works for me. I was surprised it was allowed. I know it will never get me a "hole in one", but it uses 2 common vowels and 2 common consonants. I sometimes vary it to SHIRE, SHORE, SHARE, STARE, STALE.....
My most common score is 4, closely followed by 3. The odd 2. A few 5's and the odd 6. Very rarely a non finisher (about 1 in 100 roughly).

Top Bottom