Words or phrases that you hate ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to a Student Union meeting way back in 1974 and the chair ...

(I'm sure that he wouldn't have been called a 'chair' in those days, and that use of the word is something that I don't like)

... the guy man person in charge of the meeting said "Brothers, sisters, a situation has developed which urgently needs to be ameliorated!"

Well, that word caught my attention! I'd never heard it until that moment, but never fear - I was going to hear it many times during the subsequent 30 minute rant. Ameliorated, ameliorate, amelioration, ameliorating. The root word was clearly a recent discovery and our host wasn't going to waste the opportunity to batter us with its numerous variations!

You know what? In the 37 years since that meeting, I don't remember anybody else using it in my presence. So feel free. If a poor situation needs to be ameliorated, the sooner you begin to ameliorate it, the better, and when you are finished doing the ameliorating, sit back and be proud of another successful amelioration! :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
innit, you know !

your mate - when you barely know the person .

sersstificate instead of certificate.

I'm only saying- yes we know you are saying something thats why we can hear words

colly

Re member eR
Chimbley

Secartary

Pacific ...........meaning specific

Bsghetti........meaning spaghetti

uncher...........meaning I suppose .........aren't you

Not in general use but a presenter does a trail for his evening program ,'Front Row', on Radio 4 and everytime he says :

........that's Front Row tonight at 7.15 with Memark Lawson.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I hate it when strangers call me terms of endearment that should be reserved for my nearest and dearest, or at least people I've known for longer than a nanosecond.

No, I am NOT your "darlin'", your love or your sweetheart, and I'm CERTAINLY not your "pet". Haven't you got a cat at home or something?

I'm developing severe irritation at the use of "focussing" as well. It should have only one 's', FFS (unless you happen to pronounce it foCUSSing, and I don't think anyone does). The substitution of "loose" for "lose" is becoming so prevalent it's causing me physical discomfort, much like the incorrect use of "less" when it should be "fewer".

As for words I dislike for no reason, "Metatron" has a horrible shape, all blocky and sticky. The very word "Godzuki" (yes, from the children's TV show) made me itch and "heliotrope" makes me giggle (although that's not a bad thing).

Sam

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Tangentially rather than totally OT, an interesting illustration in a piece in Saturday's Guardian of the power of the sound of words, regardless of meaning, from someone called David Crystal: “You’re in a spaceship approaching a planet. You’ve been told there are two races on it, one beautiful and friendly to humans, the other unfriendly, ugly and mean-spirited. You also know that one of these groups is called the Lamonians; the other is called the Grataks. Which is which? Most people assume that the Lamonians are the nice guys.”

postman

Legendary Member
24 feakin 7. I know what it means.But why do people say it.We are English we have a lovely language,use it.Don't abuse it.Let the Americans keep their rapping,crapping music phrases.And stuff their low slung jeans with your underpants showing out also.

God bless the United Kingdom.God bless Yorkshire,flat caps,whippets and pints of real beer.

U

User482

When ordering food: "could I get?"

No, that's what the waiter is there for, you dullard.

U

User169

"good quality" with reference to a foodstuff

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
The use of "to tape" when the meaning is "to record" (there is no tape in a PVR)

Also "on camera" - the camera is the device housing the recording medium (isn't it?)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I hate "impact", when the speaker or writer means "effect".

Effect is neutral, while a positive, beneficial impact is hard to imagine. Real impacts are usually brief, violent, unpleasant and destructive. Metaphorical ones are usually actually effects of one kind or another.

Also, impact has a meaning of its own. "What impact will this decision have on...?" Well, of course it will have no impact at all - a decision (and indeed most of the things said to "impact on" other things) is an abstract entity and can have no direct physical effect on anything.

I heard and exchange along the following lines in Radio 4 once:
"What impact will X have on Y?"
"Oh, a long, slow, gradual impact, I should think..." What, like continents drifting into each other?

Top Bottom