Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"So" when it is used to start a sentence.

Having done some extensive research (Listening to people being interviewed on R4) it seems to particularly (But not exclusively) come from sub 40yo females.

"So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

I'd say that was a pretty rousing start to an epic adventure. But what does a Nobel Laureate for literature know ?

"So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

I'd say that was a pretty rousing start to an epic adventure. But what does a Nobel Laureate for literature know ?
So, yea there were these, like Spear Danes and they had kings and shoot and they were , like totes amaaazing and well good.

Please send Nobble Prize via Cyclechat reception. I can collect.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Premium.
It seems to be used by some to mean something which is better than the usual, but by others to mean the equivalent of better value. It annoys me because some retailers in particular appear to play on this confusion.

"Normalcy". Having a go at Americanisms really is the low-hanging fruit (and you usually find out that the annoying word originated in the UK) but this one deserves a special mention / place in hell.

"In terms of" is an utterly redundant filler, aimed to buy thinking time and make the speaker sound more businesslike. To me, it just makes them sound like a twat.

Oh, and while I think of it, for all the other terrible things he's done, Trump's failure to use a hyphen to create a compound adjective really annoys me beyond all proportion. (e.g. low-energy, crime-ridden, do-nothing...:wacko:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hollibobs
Arggghhhhhhh³

"Normalcy". Having a go at Americanisms really is the low-hanging fruit (and you usually find out that the annoying word originated in the UK) but this one deserves a special mention / place in hell.

"In terms of" is an utterly redundant filler, aimed to buy thinking time and make the speaker sound more businesslike. To me, it just makes them sound like a twat.

Oh, and while I think of it, for all the other terrible things he's done, Trump's failure to use a hyphen to create a compound adjective really annoys me beyond all proportion. (e.g. low-energy, crime-ridden, do-nothing...:wacko:)
In the US, a Normal School is a teacher training college.

Top Bottom