Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

“Pan-fried”. How else do you fry something?
On a griddle? ;)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
On a griddle? ;)

You griddle something on a griddle ... :smile:

Thinking more about the original question, the convention seems to be that "pan-fried" is shorthand for "frying-pan-fried" (a steak, for example). On the other hand, when you fill a saucepan with oil and fry something immersed in the oil (like chips, or the infamous Mars bar) then the product is referred to, unsurprisingly, as "deep-fried".

Dag Hammar

I have noticed these two words are often incorrectly used in the written format. Perhaps it is due to this predictive text nonsense.
People often show ‘defiantly’ when they mean ‘definitely’ and I‘ve lost count of the number of times I have seen the word ‘form’ whereas it should be ‘from’.

yello

You griddle something on a griddle ... :smile:

I'm sure that's technically (?) correct (my chef brother was a p-in-the-a for such exactitudes!) but there are loads of references to 'griddle fried' this or that. And, yes of course, as mentioned above there is the wonderful 'deep fried', and I'm a sucker for deep fried. I must admit though that whilst 'pan fried' doesn't annoy me, it does make me smile... for exactly the reason @Scotty55 suggests!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The guy who invented the US-centric spell checker. I constantly battle this damned thing trying to add a 'z' to realise, 'centre' becomes 'center' etc. (CC - you have it too).

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The guy who invented the US-centric spell checker. I constantly battle this damned thing trying to add a 'z' to realise, 'centre' becomes 'center' etc. (CC - you have it too).

To be fair to Microsoft (and others), their software has offered spellcheckers for UK English and many other languages for at least the last 30 years. you just have to install the one(s) you need.

Top Bottom