work bike shelters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
I have just started cycling to work. I work in Croydon (naming no names). We have a secure sheltered car park. When asking security where to park I was told to park it next to the fire escape. You guessed it. Its the only part of the car park that is exposed to the elements. All cars are nicely sheltered under a roof. I have found access to a cycle stand on the first floor. This is however behind a secured gate with no intercom on the outside. Who designs these facilities and how the hell are you supposed to use them. The office is in a shared building from what I can see only very few people cycle in so really cant see how allowing to lock up there would be a problem although I have a feeling it probably would be.

Leodis

Veteran
Thats pretty crap, you should get a job with the council as you get 5* bike facilities.

My old place kicked us out from under the stairs and made people leave their bikes locked on sheffield stands right in front of a main road, a bit like free advertising for criminals, we complained and they moved them around the back. I bought a Bike Parka and it worked a treat, bit of a mess around folding it back into the bag once went.

I would suggest speaking to who rents that area and see if you can sort something out.

br5968

When I started at my place, I was told to secure my bike to a metal fence outside a fire escape at the back of the building (completely exposed and not overlooked) and to bang on the fire door to be let in. Needless to say, I ignored this 'advice'.

I was leaving it chained to some railings outside my office window, so I can keep an eye on it, but started noticing it was getting covered in dust/crap during the day (our office is in quite an industrial area). Now I take it in, across the carpetted reception area and park it under the stairs, D-locked to a metal staircase rod. Chief Exec has seen me coming and going, and no-one has said anything, so assume I've got away with it :becool:

Seeing as you're in London, your employer can get free stands from TfL: https://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/22897.aspx

My bike sits in the warmth not 10 feet away from me in an under stairs cupboard..... When I started working there it had got unimportant things in it like..... err stock (I work in a motor factors) and shelving so I moved them and now its my bike shed:smile: M.D (he works at Head office obviously) has seen it and was impressed with my initiative

Top Bottom