work locker dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
It is surely normal at work to keep a locker, because unlike a swimming pool you will be going there every day and presumably don't want to bring clothes, towels and toiletries back and forth. Certainly I keep mine.

You could do what we did, put a piece of paper on each locker and ask people to write the name on the one they are using. They found that about half weren't being used, new keys are much cheaper than new lockers.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
We have similar lockers with a note saying 'All lockers to be emptied by 5.30pm on Fridays' - I asked them what I should be doing with my kit ahead of my Monday morning commute and they didn't really have an answer.

Everyone now keeps their locker keys as they need somewhere for their toiletries if nothing else and facilities managed to get hold of more lockers from other buildings until there was enough available.

Seize the moment- nick the key!!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If you need to leave stuff in the locker overnight, you haven't "finished" using it.

As a very regular cyclist I would think you would be quite justified in bagging a locker to use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got a massive bank of lockers at work, and despite the signs, there are never any spare -

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Leave token contents in it, in a plastic bag with your name on, and take the key. If facilities ever do get around to enforcing the idea about leaving lockers free at the end of a day, you have a debatable defence to retaining the key (you were storing stuff until your next shift) and your stuff should be returned to you.

potsy

Rambler
We introduced a similar system last year, it is universally hated.

Most take the keys home which means plenty of people never get a locker to use at all.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
For some reason, most people including me don't bother using the lockers at work, so there is always plenty spare. Guess we are all very stupid or very trustworthy. I never leave any valuables in the changing rooms though, I keep them on me. If someone nicks my bike shoes and change of clothes, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

JoshM

I work shifts encompassing all 24 hours, 7 days a week, so does everyone who uses my office. There are probably 300-400 male members of staff, few of whom actively commute on a regulsr basis, and require locker space. It doesn't make sense to provide lockers for everyone who might need one so my work has a similar system which is abused in the way you describe. I took the locker key.

I do wonder if more people might actively commute if a few more lockers were available.

Top Bottom