Work mate bought a BSO from Argos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave W

Not so much Halfords rather then big chain supermarkets like Tesco & Asda

I don't think there's anything wrong with an ASDA or Tesco double bouncer. Where I live everyone has them, I pass countless people on my commute who are riding BSO's. My rack, bag and pedals probably cost more than their bike but they are still doing exactly the same as me.

I sometimes feel daft in my lycra and glasses and find it hard to justify why I've spent all that dosh when that 50 year old bloke in a donkey jacket is happily pootling to work.

The law of diminishing returns comes in very quickly with cycling, that double bouncer does the same as your full sus XC beast. Not as well but still, the same.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I think he only wants to short commuting distance and to ride on gentle off road use so it could well work for him. I am thinking of getting my old Land-Rover Freelander repaired for short distance town use. It would be slower then my Sirrus but then if some tea leef half inched it I would be cross.

Hasn't everyone started off with one of these?
Surely if halfords et al didn't sell these basic, cheap bikes then a lot less people would be taking up cycling?
I started off many years ago with a halfords-type racer and still used it some 15 years later!

think the issue is more a current one, the cheap bikes in the old days were basic and heavy. the cheap bikes now are poorly made and extra heavy, the gears can be impossible and often result in upgrading at cost and not cycling

halfords cheap seem to have good reviews, think of sports direct and places like that, 21 gear adult suspension bike brand new for 70quid

Beardie

Hasn't everyone started off with one of these?

Not necessarily. Some of us have been riding since long before the BSO thing started. My first two bikes were secondhand, and perfectly good at that. If you had little money to spend, the local bike shop would sell you a used bike, or you bought via the classified ads. These days, people will buy a BSO because it is cheaper than almost any used bike. (A BSO is unlikely to last long enough to enter the secondhand market.)

If you spend the money on a used machine, there are two advantages:
1. You can get a model you would not be able to afford new,
2. It would have been better assembled than a new bike at the same price.
Also, while the price of a bottom-of-the-range bike has gone through the floor, the price of accessories has remained fairly static. There is something of a psycological barrier to paying £30 for a rack, or mudguards, if the bike itself only cost £50.

Stuartaw11

Regular
Haha i love this i have a BSO that i bought from the place i get my car serviced 7 years ago for £70.00, it sat in my shed totally unloved untill 3 weeks ago when i decided to go for ride with a friend on his £1000 hybrid, now dont get me wrong its bloody hard work keeping up with him but thats all part of the fun, wobbling down the road in a t shirt and shorts while said mate looks "all the gear no idea" i love the 25mph speed wobble when i cant quite get top gear down a hill, 1 inch of play in the crank bearing, half an inch of play in the rear wheel bearings, 3 weeks since the first ride the bike shaped object has now done 120 wobbly miles and im loving every ride, so much so that i will be buying something better soon with of course the obligitory lycra shorts and hi viz vest.....cant wait

It's the full suspension BSOs that are the main problem. Take an iffy bike and add an extra 5kgs of weight to something that won't get further into the wilds than a well maintained cyclepath.

Gandalf

Veteran
It's the full suspension BSOs that are the main problem. Take an iffy bike and add an extra 5kgs of weight to something that won't get further into the wilds than a well maintained cyclepath.

Well maintained cyclepath ? Shurely shome mishtake :biggrin:

apollo179

Beatlejuice - in these situations you let your workmate enjoy his new bike. Why dont you suggest going out for a ride together.

NeilEB

Beatlejuice - in these situations you let your workmate enjoy his new bike. Why dont you suggest going out for a ride together.

And make sure you take a bike tool kit with you....
whistling.gif

tyred

Legendary Member
I personally wouldn't like a double bouncer but it should be fine for a few miles at a leisurely pace.

apollo179

And make sure you take a bike tool kit with you....
whistling.gif

Running a bso certainly does bringabout a familiarity with your bike and your toolkit - not ideal for some but a great learning curve for those with the correct mindset.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Running a bso certainly does bringabout a familiarity with your bike and your toolkit - not ideal for some but a great learning curve for those with the correct mindset.

Familiarity with all the wrong size of tools :sad:

Top Bottom