Work mate bought a BSO from Argos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Speaking to a work mate this afternoon. He was dead chuffed that he had bought a BSO for £99 reduced from £179 (plus £6 delivery) from Argos. It had 21 gears, full suspension and weighed in at 18kgs! I just politely nodded and said how nice. I nearly bought something similar from my LBS some 6 years ago but a something told me to spend the extra. What does one do in these situations? I didn't want to burst is bubble.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Let him ride it. Why not? My Argos £99 BSO is great, I love it. I can throw it around on the rough ground without a care in the world.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I bought SWMBO a £99 BSO from Argos. I wouldn't knock them too much, does the job which is a pootle to the local woods and parks with nothing severe thrown at it. It all depends what its bought for

martint235

Dog on a bike
Keep checking behind you. Be dead embarrasing when he scalps you going home :tongue:

biggrin.gif

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
As long as he's not a destructive rider it may well be still fine in a few months. If he gets the use out of it you can't knock it too much. If he's really fit he might not even suffer too much on 18kg.

martint235

Dog on a bike
As long as he's not a destructive rider it may well be still fine in a few months. If he gets the use out of it you can't knock it too much. If he's really fit he might not even suffer too much on 18kg.

Shhhh, don't mention the weight. SWMBO might start asking awkward questions about the comparative weight of my bikes to hers!!!
ohmy.gif

Allirog

18 kilograms! What's the frame made of - scaffolding poles ?

Speaking to a work mate this afternoon. He was dead chuffed that he had bought a BSO for £99 reduced from £179 (plus £6 delivery) from Argos. It had 21 gears, full suspension and weighed in at 18kgs! I just politely nodded and said how nice. I nearly bought something similar from my LBS some 6 years ago but a something told me to spend the extra. What does one do in these situations? I didn't want to burst is bubble.

i went from a bso to a subway, i couldnt believe the difference, when i can afford it ill go to a roady, hope to feel the same difference

Monsieur

Hasn't everyone started off with one of these?
Surely if halfords et al didn't sell these basic, cheap bikes then a lot less people would be taking up cycling?
I started off many years ago with a halfords-type racer and still used it some 15 years later!

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Surely if halfords et al didn't sell these basic, cheap bikes then a lot less people would be taking up cycling?
I started off many years ago with a halfords-type racer and still used it some 15 years later!

There's been a massive debate on this subject lately, I think the majority determined there was a difference between a cheap bike an one which is not fit for cycling. Your Halfords starter doesn't sound like a BSO, now if you had went to a catalogue/ supermarket and got put off cycling by a bike that was too heavy and fell to bits quickly that would be a bso :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Not so much Halfords rather then big chain supermarkets like Tesco & Asda

Monsieur

[QUOTE 1490907"]
Yeah you make a good point and it touches on what I mentioned earlier - it's all about necessity, what you are looking for.

Some of the bikes that Halfords sell are very good (the Boardman range for example) however there are some bikes that are really bad. I think what pains the cycling community is that people with no knowledge will happily go down to the local Halfords and buy a bike when the ride quality is not that great.

With a little research (there are other large bike retailers that people can go to) and asking yourself what you want. People can buy bikes that they want to ride and keep on riding.
[/quote]

Good points - maybe its because halfords is more convenient, better priced and is a well known retailer?

Top Bottom