Work related bling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
Snap-on !!

Flash git !

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Dave5N said:
Computers are pretty much about expectation. My G5 and mini-mac are so many times more powerful than the SEIIs and LC's I had back then, but relatively, they're rubbish. I still produce the same stuff though, regardless.

and weren't they so much more the cat's whiskers than the dos based abominations that were the alternative?

i still have a working classic and lcIII. they certainly didn't build them to last little longer than the warranty back then.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Keith Oates said:
I don't ever remember seeing brown ink, bet it is the base for many discussions and can also 'break the ice' at those times when meeting a new person and the talk is getting a bit stilted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say this Keith, but if the conversation was so stilted that I felt the need to break the ice by showing off the colour of ink in my fountain pen, I think I'd be better off just going home...:thumbsup:

Not sure I have any work related bling. Not much work at the moment! Although yesterday, my hand was getting cold (currently doing a task that is all mouseclicking, so not much movement) and said to the boss that someone should invent a heated mouse.

Within 15 minutes, he'd googled, and bought one. Well, I think only one, so it's probably for him - he sits nearer the window where its colder. Still at least he didn't go for the USB heated slippers he also found online...:biggrin:

Arch said:
I hate to say this Keith, but if the conversation was so stilted that I felt the need to break the ice by showing off the colour of ink in my fountain pen, I think I'd be better off just going home...:angry:

Not sure I have any work related bling. Not much work at the moment! Although yesterday, my hand was getting cold (currently doing a task that is all mouseclicking, so not much movement) and said to the boss that someone should invent a heated mouse.

Within 15 minutes, he'd googled, and bought one. Well, I think only one, so it's probably for him - he sits nearer the window where its colder. Still at least he didn't go for the USB heated slippers he also found online...:biggrin:

Or any of the other USB devices that can be bought :angry::smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
We got it sorted ...in the MOST important area of the workshop.....
The Kettle :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

We have to walk with the kettle, oooh, maybe 12 ft to fill it up. :angry:

No, we're not having that...so we ran a pipe to the kettle, a little valve is mounted over the spout, just turn the handle to fill it..:smile::biggrin: Never have to walk with the kettle again. Dont even have to get out of our seats :biggrin:

Health and safety y'know....:angry: Trip hazards, walking round with boiling water, its just not on !!!

We did consider putting a solenoid valve to keep it filled...but the issue of detecting the fill level was just too much to be bothered with....

Arch

Married to Night Train
gbb said:
We got it sorted ...in the MOST important area of the workshop.....
The Kettle :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

We have to walk with the kettle, oooh, maybe 12 ft to fill it up. :angry:

No, we're not having that...so we ran a pipe to the kettle, a little valve is mounted over the spout, just turn the handle to fill it..:smile::biggrin: Never have to walk with the kettle again. Dont even have to get out of our seats :biggrin:

Health and safety y'know....:angry: Trip hazards, walking round with boiling water, its just not on !!!

We did consider putting a solenoid valve to keep it filled...but the issue of detecting the fill level was just too much to be bothered with....

<pedant>Um, you walk with the kettle to fill it up? Unless you fill it with boiling water then (a bit pointless, surely), why do you need to walk with boiling water?</pedant>

Top marks for laziness though...:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
I used to have a pen with a lady on it that undressed if you held it upside down. Someone stole it.

I liked the episode of Extras with one of these in.
Robert De Niro liked the pen too :smile:.

gbb

Legendary Member
Arch said:
<pedant>Um, you walk with the kettle to fill it up? Unless you fill it with boiling water then (a bit pointless, surely), why do you need to walk with boiling water?</pedant>

Top marks for laziness though...:smile:

[acknowledges attention to detail]...bugger, you noticed. I realised that didnt make sense as i wrote it..couldnt be bothered to rectify it..in true engineering fashion :biggrin: [/acknowledges attention to detail]

Arch

Married to Night Train
gbb said:
[acknowledges attention to detail]...bugger, you noticed. I realised that didnt make sense as i wrote it..couldnt be bothered to rectify it..in true engineering fashion :smile: [/acknowledges attention to detail]

:biggrin: Sorry!

I have no gadgets assocated with my work cos it's all books and boring desktop computers. However, I am supposed to be working in a state of the art environmentally friendly building, which has won awards because it's so energy efficient. Obviously whoever gave it the award never actually worked in it.

We've got:
-bog flushing with rainwater collected from tanks on the roof - ok in theory but makes for brown and stinky bog water before you've even been to the loo
- movement activated lighting - in reality, if you sit at your desk working for any period of time they switch themselves off and you have to do a special dance in front of the sensor so you can see again
- no heating in the non public parts of the building, air is supposed to be heated by the 'flow of bodies' between different parts of the building. In essence, in your workspace, you freeze to death
- open plan working for academics. I mean WTF?!? A bit of piece and quiet so you can concentrate? Not if people are taking phone calls...
- aircon that is so badly installed that you can't put interior walls in to make offices...
and so nobody comes into work. What a thriving work environment! Thanks mr stupid architects and school...it's so damn energy efficient because there's nobody there using the resources!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Whereas I'm currently working;) in an eco building that is quite good. Rainwater runs the sinks and so on, the toilets are compost ones, the solar panels and turbine contribute some of the power (not all I think, but at least it's some) and the wood fired stove keeps the main room nice and warm and when it's going, also heats the kettle for tea...

And there's a nice pond outside, with a couple of ducks on it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Whereas I'm currently working;) in an eco building that is quite good. Rainwater runs the sinks and so on, the toilets are compost ones, the solar panels and turbine contribute some of the power (not all I think, but at least it's some) and the wood fired stove keeps the main room nice and warm and when it's going, also heats the kettle for tea...

And there's a nice pond outside, with a couple of ducks on it.

Well that's lunch sorted. Bung some roasties in, if you would.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom