Working ( volunteer ) for English Heritage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On my back from a morning ride today i went through marble hill park ( my childhood home ) I thought the main house had been closed but saw someone stood outside so i stopped for a chat . It seems the main house and the stables ( where i lived ) are due to have a huge make over . This includes replacing some of the rotten joinery ( sash windows etc )
A couple of people i have mentioned my willingness to make this stuff as a volunteer have said i wouldn't be allowed . So how does a joiner with his own joinery workshop and 30 years experience in joinery get to make a free window or five for English heritage ?

screenman

Legendary Member
My wife's nephew lived in the stables for a few years, if I remember correctly he was a ground keeper there as well. I spent many a happy ravishing and swimming there, one of my kids learnt to ride his bike there, I also laboured on the community centre thing there when they built it for a few days.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You contact English Heritage direct ? Regional office be your best bet.
I called them and they said call back Monday . I just wondered if anyone on here knew .

What was his name Screenman ? I was there from about 73 -the mid 80's .

screenman

Legendary Member
I called them and they said call back Monday . I just wondered if anyone on here knew .

What was his name Screenman ? I was there from about 73 -the mid 80's .

John Mapletoft I think it was a bit later that he was there. You were there when I worked in that building. I have a feeling they had the top left hand flat as you look at it from the park.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
When I volunteered with the National Trust we were involved with many projects but the site guys did all the craft work such as joinery but that was just down to the volunteers not being qualified. You being a joiner might be a different matter.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
John Mapletoft I think it was a bit later that he was there. You were there when I worked in that building. I have a feeling they had the top left hand flat as you look at it from the park.
If it was that flat when i was there then i would have known him as thats where i lived :laugh:
Do you remember Ted ? He used to run the adventure playground for the older kids . I still see him around riding a postmans bike .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When I volunteered with the National Trust we were involved with many projects but the site guys did all the craft work such as joinery but that was just down to the volunteers not being qualified. You being a joiner might be a different matter.
Thanks , i did a bit for the NT but it turned out i had to do it undercover . A broken bridge was going to close a nature reserve so i had to sneak in and fix it :huh:

Top Bottom