Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
No showers at my last job but there was somewhere indoors to safely store the bike.

Will find out tomorrow if there are any facilities at my new job, though being only 2.5 miles away i only really need a safe spot for it to be.
bit late i know but, why would it it neecd to be less secure if work is closer to home? still just as much risk of bike being knicked surely?
Cheers Ed

potsy

Rambler
bit late i know but, why would it it neecd to be less secure if work is closer to home? still just as much risk of bike being knicked surely?
Cheers Ed
Was meaning security was the only thing needed as showers etc weren't needed for such a short ride, anyway I only rode there once before leaving ^_^

ShipHill

We've got a brand new (in 2012) covered bike shed with 9 slots in it serving a total workforce of about 60. One slot is permanently occupied with the gaffer's broken mountain bike leaving 8 slots of which anywhere between 3 - 6 get used depending on who has cycled in that day etc.

Security isn't a big worry as we're at the very edge of a small town and surrounded by housing and tall fences and the shed is easily visible from the factory.

The shower is a cubicle full of overalls and rollertowels and looks like it was last used about 10 years ago. Working in a smelly, noisy job like we do welding, driving fork lifts and other such tiresome chores, none of us worry about the shower, but I think 1 or 2 out the office would appreciate it. I think it's due for a refit during the Great Washroom Tidy-Up that's due later this year.

J.Primus

We've got bicycle parking for about 25 bikes in an underground car park which is very secure and another bike parking area in our loading bay which is behind a large electric gate. We do have a shower which isn't great but we should be installing proper showers, changing rooms and lockers as the final part of a building refurbishment later this year.
In terms of getting decent facilities it does help when you're in charge of installing them :becool:

Tynan

Veteran
started a new job today, a shower on every other of eight floors, secure bike parking in the underground car park and a fresh towel from reception every morning

but nowhere, officially at least, to hand kit

ffs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
started a new job today, a shower on every other of eight floors, secure bike parking in the underground car park and a fresh towel from reception every morning

but nowhere, officially at least, to hand kit

ffs
Hand your kit to the receptionist when you get your daily towel. After seeing you in all your glory several times, they'll get the hint :laugh:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Posted in commuting, but found the fire door to the cycle lockers wasnt locked, so could use secure swipe card access to get in from the car park, but could have actually walked in off the street from the other side. :wacko:

Security and Facilities Team alerted. A couple of us even tried it out tonight. We`ve locked it now, but its so easy to miss.

Tynan

Veteran
strolled round to inspect the 'secure bike parking'

less than impressed, it's round the back and down a short pedestrian ramp from the street, all of four racks rammed full of perhaps 20 bikes clearly visible from the street and the dozens of smokers from neighbouring buildings, this for a 1000 staff site, apparently those 20 spaces go very early in the day leaving a couple more racks at street level for a dozen more bikes, street parking thereafter

oh well

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
strolled round to inspect the 'secure bike parking'

less than impressed, it's round the back and down a short pedestrian ramp from the street, all of four racks rammed full of perhaps 20 bikes clearly visible from the street and the dozens of smokers from neighbouring buildings, this for a 1000 staff site, apparently those 20 spaces go very early in the day leaving a couple more racks at street level for a dozen more bikes, street parking thereafter

oh well

Bloody hell mate.. welcome back..

Tynan

Veteran
hmpf well perhaps, slowly stopped posting anywhere some time ago, been out of work for three months so haven;t touched the bike

started the new job on Monday, praise be, so hopefully back on the road with rubber legs tomorrow, it stirred some old cycling thoughts

and ta, I did get my 7 years of posting badge when I logged in mind

Tynan

Veteran
hmpf, I'm sure you've got by just fine without me arguing tiny points of order and playing DA

I rested soundly on my LEL laurels for nine months of commuting and then three resting on the sofa, it's been in the shelter for three months, I meant to give it a once over today ...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
hmpf, I'm sure you've got by just fine without me arguing tiny points of order and playing DA

I rested soundly on my LEL laurels for nine months of commuting and then three resting on the sofa, it's been in the shelter for three months, I meant to give it a once over today ...

Good to have you back... now get stuck back in.. CC needs you. :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
hmpf

rode in gently today after a 20 minute hunt for my shoes, a bit faster than the Boris bikes and the same speed as some girls, but pleasant and perhaps advisable given a new route after Shoreditch, the Old St rab is indeed a tricky one to the noob and the road W from there to Holborn not friendly, too narrow and easily blocked and a lot of bikes swarming with some idiots swerving left and right in a world of their own. Cycle parking dodgy but I got the last semi secure spot, picked up a lovely towel from reception and enjoyed a hotel standard shower

Rode home a different way via Essex Road determinedly with a bike that felt heavier and heavier, distinctly grateful to get home but much much more fun than the train/tube

Top Bottom