Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw my new places facilities the other day, wheel bender stands partially covered behind large walls. Hopefully my new boss noticed in my face that I wasn't impressed and thats why he quickly came up with there's plans to fully enclose it, etc. Somewhere else in the building he pointed out a door where a shower is apparently located.

potsy

Rambler
Well nothing has changed. Had it confirmed that it's likely to be after we move in that we have somewhere to put out kit. Same colleague above ^ saw me pull up at site this morning covered in sweat and dripping wet, and re-iterated "have you found somewhere for your kit yet" ! Lovely to feel so wanted.;) PS this person is all dolled up, and looks as though she'd never get 'grubby' with exercise...

Plan B is needed.

We have lockers but they aren't vented, nor do they have hangers. Think I'll take in a piece of wooden dowling, cut approximately to size and a junior hacksaw and wedge the dowling inside the locker. I can then hang my kit on hangers. As for drying, a couple of USB desk fans coupled to a mobile phone 'emergency' charger - should power the fans long enough to dry kit. Feckin genius me !!

Today's site visit reminded me why we need a place to dry stuff, getting back into soggy shorts after a meeting isn't nice !
Couldn't you just leave spare kit in the locker to use for the way home?

Anyway it doesn't rain that much around here so I've been told :whistle:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Used to use the shower facility on the ground floor, which is occupied by the NHS. No longer:
"I am afraid it is not feasible for you to utilise the shower in our offices. There are many reasons which pose difficulty: security issues for non-employees accessing our offices; insurance issues; we have an increasing flow of delegates attending training, some of whom arrive by 8am and it is not feasible for a non-employee to be accessing a shower which is based in the main corridor off which our training rooms are accessed; The shower was originally installed to provide a clinical training facility for our nursing staff, and I am not sure whether it is in full working order. In addition to this, we are imminently awaiting the installation of a swipe-card access system to increase staff and premises security, after which access to the premises by non-staff members would not be possible."
:cursing:

Landlords have pointed us to another shower on site. A bit further away and up a flight of stairs, but the top floor is not being used, so we have free and unhindered use of the facilities. Basic shower, but plenty of room to change and 4 wall hooks
^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Due back to work next week, and us cyclists have no-where to put damp kit. I've been told I can't have my kit in the office by my lovely colleagues (there is no room either). The services rooms look useable but they are locked. Lots of big pipes running up creating a fair amount of heat.

Cycle parking is causing issues. My swipe card isn't working and it's a bit of a lottery if they work or not. Monday's plan is to park about half a mile away on another site, go get a new swipe card and make my way over to the new building.

I've had delivered a usb powered desk fan, which I can fit in the bottom of one of the lockers, powered off a usb battery pack. Next will be to fashion a rail to hang stuff from within the locker.

Quite a few hacked off cyclists. One is crapping himself about the new shelter as it's tucked out of the way, and he doesn't yet have great locks.

Buzzinonbikes

Moving into our new office next month. I am told there is an outdoor key fob entry cycle shed thing and showers. Yet to see them so fingers crossed as the new commute will be about 13 miles each way.

BigAl68

Über Member
Three indoor bike sheds each holding hundreds of bikes with Sheffield stands. Lockers but not enough for everyone. Showers with towels in each bike shed and all behind security pass controlled doors. I work at the Bristol Royal Infirmary and they are very pro cycling and it makes cycling a realistic option for everyone. The sheds are full to bursting this time of the year but we will see this drop off when the daylight shortens and the weather turns cold and wet.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know what the facilities are like at the rebuilt Southmead hospital but they must be really promoting cycling there as I usually pass fairly close and have noticed a big surge in the numbers of cyclists there.

I think each winter the drop off rate seems to reduce.

BigAl68

Über Member
I don't know what the facilities are like at the rebuilt Southmead hospital but they must be really promoting cycling there as I usually pass fairly close and have noticed a big surge in the numbers of cyclists there.

I think each winter the drop off rate seems to reduce.
They have secure bike storage etc and also have a loan bike scheme where you can borrow a bike for a month to see how you get on before committing to a new bike. I agree over each of the past four winters the numbers have been dropping off less but only loonies like me cycle through the worst of it. Only heavy snow on the cycle path stopped me last year.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the company my wife co-owns did some work with that Trust (I may be wrong), as she did some work with that Trust??
To do with cycling? If so have they improved the cycle facilities for visitors? Last time I used them the ok ones were full up and the ones left were those ones where you hoist your bike semi upright and then not a decent locking point. I gave up and used some railings instead as quite a few others had done so. I've not been to the new one yet.

I met someone who was fairly involved in the co-ordination of the transfer to the new buildings but I didn't know that when I expressed my opinion of the new buildings. We haven't spoken much since!

To do with cycling?
I met someone who was fairly involved in the co-ordination of the transfer to the new buildings but I didn't know that when I expressed my opinion of the new buildings. We haven't spoken much since!
No, to do with what was required inside, in terms of clinical space, & what department required in terms of cubicles, size of them, waiting areas what departments had to be adjacent to each other, etc..... (eg; A&E has Radiology, CT Imaging, MRI, Assessment Wards close by)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like I am locking my bike through the nice glass and stainless steel fencing outside the office. Will probably get a rollocking but I can't get in the shelter. But its also directly in the line of sight from my desk. Full set of locks taking in tomorrow. If you see me doing wheelies, the panniers are a bit heavy.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi All, first posting.

I'm trying to encourage my employer to offer more facilities at work for cyclists and it would help if I can argue with him about how he compares to other workplaces. How many here have secure lockers for their bikes? (I'm worried about security and someone scratching my precious bike - am I the only one?) Does everyone have shower facilities at their work? - I don't like the "wet wipes" solution that I see everywhere.

My boss has suggested that he could install lockers/bike racks/showers, but he'd charge us for using them - anyone else in this situation?
if you are seeking comparable evidence, in sorry to tell you that the news isn't good. I am responsible for designing and constructing office interiors in London and see what I would approximate as about a 10% take up to incorporate adequate showers and changing/storage facilities.

city rents are so high, firms just cant justify the space...or rather the fm at a firm isn't prepared to tell his shareholders...or boss why they must invest in an additional 1000 sq feet costing between £40 and £100k a year in rent rates and service charges...plus the £15-30k required to fit them out and then the £10k required to dilapidate them at the end of the lease.

very few "business" people see past those numbers im sorry to say.

from my personal experience, the type if employer mist likely to invest is a large corporate type, typically US backed.

most other firms offer local gym discount as a compromise.

shame.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lockable bike cages with stands although i chain the bike to the railings as they are wheelbenders
Showers and locker in a communal single sex changing rooms but tbh i dont bother as i will be sweating all day in an industrial weld shop with feck off sized robots creating heat and smell all day so 30 mins or so of clean sweat is not going to be noticed .

Top Bottom