Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cold

We have a well lit bike shed which is inside a high security area so everything is pretty safe.Inside we have showers and lockers.

AboutLee

Regular
how long until someone decides you are blocking a fire exit and you lose your spot?

Nothing is being blocked. Where my bike is located no one needs to go there as it just under the stairs like you would have in a house with a cupboard.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Used to use the shower facility on the ground floor, which is occupied by the NHS. No longer:
"I am afraid it is not feasible for you to utilise the shower in our offices. There are many reasons which pose difficulty: security issues for non-employees accessing our offices; insurance issues; we have an increasing flow of delegates attending training, some of whom arrive by 8am and it is not feasible for a non-employee to be accessing a shower which is based in the main corridor off which our training rooms are accessed; The shower was originally installed to provide a clinical training facility for our nursing staff, and I am not sure whether it is in full working order. In addition to this, we are imminently awaiting the installation of a swipe-card access system to increase staff and premises security, after which access to the premises by non-staff members would not be possible."
:cursing:

Downward

Guru
New workplace for me.

I now get to get changed in the disabled loo.

Benefits are a radiator in there and a hand dryer which I use to cool down !

Negatives are no bike parking 4 bikes chained up to the railings daily. So in summary no facilities at all.

Who used to use the showers at the old QE changing rooms outside the fitness place ? It was like been hit with a thousand needles !

Last edited:

ChrisTh

This is where I say most of you are lucky!

My bike gets parked in the corner of the workshop next to my machinery and I get changed etc in a corner....

Oh the joys of working in a machinery workshop. Our toilets aren't exactly nice and cubicles in there are just about big enough to fit someone in let alone get changed.

I'm sure passers by probably get a view though sometimes... :blush:

*sigh*

However, atleast in winter temperatures are not often below 18 degrees and get to near on 50 in summer, so atleast my clothes dry quick if it rains!

I work on a construction site so my office changes every few months. At the moment the bike comes into our site office with me. I can always find a quiet place to get changed but unfortunately no shower :sad:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Due to additional staff moving onto the site the allowance at my workplace for not having a parking space on site is going up to £2/ day (works out good for walking and cycling but I also worked out that with online ordering and with a local green travel incentive that gives an additional discount I could almost cover a monthly bus pass). Good for car sharers too- I think both driver and passengers can claim. Motorcycles count also.

Should get showers soon, but they'll be in a new building that I won't be moving to so will probably continue with the disabled toilet for convenience.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like we still have no place to put our damp kit in the new building we move into next month. The manager is still doing his best, but I managed to wind up a colleague and asked her if it was OK to put our kit up on a washing line in the open plan offices. She wasn't amused :whistle:.

Think the project staff don't realise how many staff will cycle in everyday. We gave a conservative estimate of at least 20. Out of a meeting of 15 folk this morning, 3 of us cycled in every day.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Looks like we still have no place to put our damp kit in the new building we move into next month. The manager is still doing his best, but I managed to wind up a colleague and asked her if it was OK to put our kit up on a washing line in the open plan offices. She wasn't amused :whistle:.

Think the project staff don't realise how many staff will cycle in everyday. We gave a conservative estimate of at least 20. Out of a meeting of 15 folk this morning, 3 of us cycled in every day.
Our changing rooms got re-done late last year. I complained that they more than halved the hanging space for clothes, and the previous space was not enough. Few months later, they took out something we didn't need and increased the hanging space 4x. Result :smile:

It seems than those that plan these things never talk to those that actually use the facilities. Could save them a lot of money if they did. Good luck with yours.

Ian_w

I work in a factory,no showers for me but i can bring my bike in and leave it behind my machine so at least its safe and dry.

We have a s***-monster at work...
I allways use the disabled loo as it has more space (we have no disabled staff and I use it before public opening) but recently someone has taken to visiting first. I swear that they have 10 pints, a curry, a further 10 pints and a chinese on the night before - plus a decomposing rat for breakfast from the rank stench left behind after their guts have emptiedxx(.

So on such mornings my facilities are now a tiny cubicle, hardly room to take off a jacket, but at least I'm not gagging and retching

Downward

Guru
This is where I say most of you are lucky!

My bike gets parked in the corner of the workshop next to my machinery and I get changed etc in a corner....

Oh the joys of working in a machinery workshop. Our toilets aren't exactly nice and cubicles in there are just about big enough to fit someone in let alone get changed.

I'm sure passers by probably get a view though sometimes... :blush:

*sigh*

However, atleast in winter temperatures are not often below 18 degrees and get to near on 50 in summer, so atleast my clothes dry quick if it rains!

I think your lucky getting to keep your bike inside

Exile

Work provide us with a dry(ish) space to lock the bikes and have just replaced the old wheel-bender racks (which held four bikes) with new toast-racks (holding 18), meaning the bikes can be properly locked now, and it's no longer a case of get in early or lock up to the pipework.

There's now talk from facilities about changing rooms, showers and drying space coming, but right now the cubicles in the gents are just about spacious enough to get changed, and I think my colleagues are getting used to damp cycling gear hanging from one of the coat racks if it's been raining.

We have a s***-monster at work...
I allways use the disabled loo as it has more space (we have no disabled staff and I use it before public opening) but recently someone has taken to visiting first. I swear that they have 10 pints, a curry, a further 10 pints and a chinese on the night before - plus a decomposing rat for breakfast from the rank stench left behind after their guts have emptiedxx(.

So on such mornings my facilities are now a tiny cubicle, hardly room to take off a jacket, but at least I'm not gagging and retching
Pound to a penny, it's security! Our offices only opened when it suited the security guys, which was not a minute before 0800. Needless to say one of their number was a heavy boozer, we suspect, from the H2S lingering to greet us...

Top Bottom