Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Room inside to keep bike in one of the old back rooms. No showers - a disabled toilet with baby changing that doubles as a table to put my change of clothes on, but with the radiator set at exactly* 5778 degrees Kelvin so even if you have a wash in the hand basin you are hotter and sweatier from getting changed than from a 26 mile peak district detour

*OK, not "exactly"

sheffgirl

We have a covered bike rack outside around the back of the building. I have left my bike inside a few times in the stores room which is quite big. Apparently there is a shower in the men's toilets but I think I would be scared to use it in case someone walked in. I don't mind stripping off at the gym but its different when its your colleagues, and male ones at that :sad:

lip03

Über Member
although we have such good facilities I don't use them.... I am a maintenance engineer in London so I take my bike to my workshop and have a nice warm office and full height locker to keep my gear in, plus it means not having to fight for a place to lock Berly (that's my bike :smile: ) up as I work shifts and it always a struggle at half 11 trying to find a gap!

Bodhbh

Guru
The last place - site of approx 200 people - bike shed with room for about 10 bikes, combination locked on a secure site. No showers. The shed would be full in summer, maybe only 3-4 bikes over winter.

This place - site of approx 25 people - totally spoilt. Unused room to leave bike and clothes in, with shower, and some of those huge old-fashioned radiators to dry clothes on. tbh I've started doing my fettling at work as it's more comfy than the shed. I'm the sole cyclist.

I did the baby wipe thing before I had the choice, but having a shower is definately much better.

MarkF

Guru
I own a small business, only I cycle in and not every day. The bike sits in the warehouse and I use the (only) towel in the tiny toilet to wash and dry myself. When said towel is stiff, we will consider changing it but there'll be an argument about who's turn it is, not that anybody would remember, so it won't happen for another week or two.

lip03

Über Member
The last place - site of approx 200 people - bike shed with room for about 10 bikes, combination locked on a secure site. No showers. The shed would be full in summer, maybe only 3-4 bikes over winter.

This place - site of approx 25 people - totally spoilt. Unused room to leave bike and clothes in, with shower, and some of those huge old-fashioned radiators to dry clothes on. tbh I've started doing my fettling at work as it's more comfy than the shed. I'm the sole cyclist.

I did the baby wipe thing before I had the choice, but having a shower is definately much better.
I thought I was lucky :rofl:

screenman

Legendary Member
I own a small business, only I cycle in and not every day. The bike sits in the warehouse and I use the (only) towel in the tiny toilet to wash and dry myself. When said towel is stiff, we will consider changing it but there'll be an argument about who's turn it is, not that anybody would remember, so it won't happen for another week or two.

Do you do that pants thing as well, you know throw them up the wall if they stick they need washing, if they slide down they will do another day.

Me, well I work from home, nice office, nice workshop and garage with bikes racked, two bathrooms, 3 toilets and a wife that is convinced I need feeding with quality grub every 30 minutes. Just got a rubbish pension though, never mind as we cannot have everything.

Bodhbh

Guru
I thought I was lucky :rofl:

Well it's a result of the company being based on an old MoD site, more than an enlighted cycle policy. A good chunck of the building has a leaky roof - hence unused rooms (but still heated). Everything dates back at least to the 40s, hence the big old radiators. They used to have sqaddies doing exercises in NBC suits, hence the showers for when they'd finished.

MarkF

Guru
Do you do that pants thing as well, you know throw them up the wall if they stick they need washing, if they slide down they will do another day.

No! I have standards. Sometimes the towel is so mucky that I have dry my hands on the window blinds.

Julia9054

Guru
They have those cycle lockers in one of the public car parks in Harrogate. Would be easy to use with my nice, light road bike (which I almost never use for town riding) but I nearly do myself a mischief trying to get my big, heavy hybrid into that position! Good for leaving panniers, helmets and shopping in with your bike though.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have no secure bike parking at work and no showers, the boss takes a dim view of people cycling to work too, it was described as unprofessional in one meeting, but I feel that's just based on his own prejudice and not from experience of working with people who ride bicycles. I don't feel like asking for better facilities for some reason....
Unprofessional??? Well our place don't feel it's unprofessional and we are a FTSE 100 company!! You don't get much more professional than that! we have lockers, showers, hairdryers (and hair straighteners for the girls), drying room and covered cycle racks in the secure car park.

have to asked your boss to approach the local council? they sometimes give grants to employers to promote sustainable travel, that way he would get money for it and not have to consider charging you. Also i've never heard of ANY employer charging for facilities. that's ludicrous. why would you charge for a fit and healthier workforce??? does he charge for parking spaces too?? if not, he's being discriminatory.

contact Sustrans, they will give you loads of facts and figures about the benefits of cycling for the workforce (health and mental wellbeing, efficiency at work etc and sustainability. Also i think eventually he might be forced to do it anyway, as there is a lot of lobbying going on at the moment to get providing facilities at work as a requirement of the employer.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Unprofessional??? Well our place don't feel it's unprofessional and we are a FTSE 100 company!! .

I agree with you, the company car park could be filled several times over, employees are parking in other businesses car parks and on the road, so there is a problem, but I feel nothing will happen until the local authority decide to deal with the problem.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My last place had very little apart from a secure place to lock the bike. Had to wash in the loo area. After I left they put a shower in (!) even though I was the only one who rode to work. 8 miles in 45 mins was the norm so I did end up a bit sweaty.

At my current place, we have some metal railings around the office which I can lock my bike to. Almost undercover as well.

When I arrived there was nothing apart from that. Then I noticed a derelict shower room used to store junk. I spoke nicely to the office manager who was having hassle over car parking pressures and the shower was reinstated. The shower has an extractor fan on permanently and the airflow dries towels well enough. Wet clothes end up hung over radiators in a quiet corner of my room.

I'm now the office manager myself and when the shower gave up a couple of years ago I had no trouble getting agreement for it to be replaced.

buggi

Bird Saviour
My last place had very little apart from a secure place to lock the bike. Had to wash in the loo area. After I left they put a shower in (!) even though I was the only one who rode to work. 8 miles in 45 mins was the norm so I did end up a bit sweaty.

At my current place, we have some metal railings around the office which I can lock my bike to. Almost undercover as well.

When I arrived there was nothing apart from that. Then I noticed a derelict shower room used to store junk. I spoke nicely to the office manager who was having hassle over car parking pressures and the shower was reinstated. The shower has an extractor fan on permanently and the airflow dries towels well enough. Wet clothes end up hung over radiators in a quiet corner of my room.

I'm now the office manager myself and when the shower gave up a couple of years ago I had no trouble getting agreement for it to be replaced.

there's your answer... Become the manager

Top Bottom