Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
There are secure bike sheds at work, but thats all that's provided for cyclists. There are changing facilities, but thats cos I work in a hospital, so they have to have changing facilities for all staff.

Does your boss provide parking for staff, and if so, how much is charged?

ACS

Legendary Member
We do not have facilities for secure storage but we are allowed to keep our bikes in little used areas so long as they do not present a H&S issue or get in the way.

We have showers, limited drying facilities and a senior manager who realises that a healthy workforce take less sick time so we have a voice at the upper echelons of the organisation.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have no secure bike parking at work and no showers, the boss takes a dim view of people cycling to work too, it was described as unprofessional in one meeting, but I feel that's just based on his own prejudice and not from experience of working with people who ride bicycles. I don't feel like asking for better facilities for some reason....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have no secure bike parking at work and no showers, the boss takes a dim view of people cycling to work too, it was described as unprofessional in one meeting, but I feel that's just based on his own prejudice and not from experience of working with people who ride bicycles. I don't feel like asking for better facilities for some reason....
Do you work at an Audi dealership?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
We are really well looked after, after recently having a full enclosure installed. Swipe card access, padded hoops to lock to, CCTV coverage and nice hot showers awaiting in the changing rooms. Still, we have to take our own towels in though, can you believe it ! !

potsy

Rambler
Every time this subject pops up it's clear to see just how much difference there is between employers' attitudes, some great facilities out there and some places that just do not care at all.

Has anyone ever asked about this before they take a job or is it just a bonus if the facilities are good?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Current offices. Crap remote from office bike shed in the grounds and pretty open to the elements which was previously the groundsman's tractor parking before the tractor got nicked. Plus four wall mounted front wheel racks that a three year old could pull off the wall. So my bike comes indoors, as do most others, and goes in the old redundant post room. Three showers, two of which resemble something from the worst sort of student house, dotted around the building.

New offices. 11 lockable steel bike lockers (jebus they are expensive) for the usual suspects being put in at works expense, part of a transport greening agenda which includes moving to an office 3 minutes walk from a mainline railway station. We are paying peoples car park charges for a year; parking is currently free on site for 100+ cars but only top 16 most senior staff get free parking at new location. So I don't feel quite so bad about the cost as one locker works out at one persons cost of parking for a year. Plus the landlord's own parp open air wheelbender stands held in place with cucumber bolts for the occasionals. Brand new purpose built unisex shower block of three cubicles, including wet hanging and kit lockers being put in, in place of a gents toilet.

Does help if your Operations Director is a keen cyclist.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm priviledged:

- Secure underground storage in a bike cage which has stands with cameras outside
- Drying room
- Changing rooms with showers
- Lockers
- City centre workshop, with a new one opening in addition at the out-of-town campus

My university really supports cycling.

400bhp

Guru
Every time this subject pops up it's clear to see just how much difference there is between employers' attitudes, some great facilities out there and some places that just do not care at all.

Has anyone ever asked about this before they take a job or is it just a bonus if the facilities are good?
Yes:whistle:

MichaelO

Veteran
We are really well looked after, after recently having a full enclosure installed. Swipe card access, padded hoops to lock to, CCTV coverage and nice hot showers awaiting in the changing rooms. Still, we have to take our own towels in though, can you believe it ! !
We get nice fluffy white towels too :tongue:

Reactions: gaz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

It's always been a bonus if we have anything. I consider an assessible toilet a win !

My employer provides staff secure parking now (more so over recent years). Simple perspex covered with swipe card access (you still need good locks) but as for changing and drying, forget it. I tend to find a toilet cubicle if on sites, although I have my own office for the next few months. Our new office has secure parking away from the building, then hopefully we will at least have changing rooms (there is a sports hall within the accomodation) and showers, but we won't have drying facilities. I'll be rigging something up under my desk like I used to do.

Top Bottom