Workplace facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I agree with you, the company car park could be filled several times over, employees are parking in other businesses car parks and on the road, so there is a problem, but I feel nothing will happen until the local authority decide to deal with the problem.
put in an anonymous complaint to the council, make life hard for your employer

Boothy

great news - had an email yesterday saying the showers are being demolished at the weekend. Please remove your things from the lockers.

No alternative arrangements or anything else!

Given that we manage with one car as my wife does the school run and drives to work (all local) whilst I cycle 12 miles to another town, this is a major issue!! They gave us 24 hours to try and sort ourselves out with alternative arrangements!!! Thanks a bunch!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think we have some 'stressed' facilities staff at the minute.

Our new offices are in the process of being fitted out. As it's 'supposed to be' one of the Greenest Universities in the UK we've found out we don't have the facilities us cyclists were promised. Our new building incorporates a sports hall and changing facilities, which we've been assured us cyclists can use. No-one has yet said if we can use the lockers permanently (these are not vented though). One of the senior managers has kindly taken on board the issues and has dug round various paperwork and has found that proper drying room and lockers for equipment were promised in the 'travel plan'.

Now these haven't happened. Our new offices won't have drying space, so the thought of us stringing washing up over an open plan office has got a few folk scurrying to find a solution as there will be around 20 regular cyclists.

This manager is actually enjoying pointing out these issues.

potsy

Rambler
New job has plenty of bike storage and has decent showers, 2 lockers per person too :thumbsup:
Much better than my last place.

AboutLee

Regular
A 30min trip to work and having a shower is not an option. I have to be up for 4:30am ride to work and start at 6 I'm just to tired in the morning lol. There is a shower room and a locker room where I stick anything wet on the radiator and anything else in my locker.

Bike gets chained and d locked to a stair railing in one of the fire exits stair ways. Cctv when you walk in to the stairs and cctv when you come through the main building. Also security patrols is a bonus. There is also 15mins checks within the area of my bike by staff.

azir

Used to work for a small company (about 25 people) and 3 of us were regular cyclists. We didn't have any facilities at all but we wrestled our bikes into the server room (the IT manager is my partner so no complaints there!) and made do with babywipes etc. In my new place, much bigger company and in a shared office. Loads of facilities - have indoor bike shed with sheffield stand (key card entry) as well as an overflow bike cage with those double-decker Dutch-style bike racks (don't like them though, always manage to hit my head....). In summer you may well find yourself booted out to the overflow bit. Have showers and changing facilities with lockers and hairdryers, all very civilised. Drying space is a bit of an issue, people tend to just drape their stuff all over the benches when the 1 small radiator is full. We don't get towels either - another company in the building give their employees towels so I am deeply jealous, but I do work for a charity so I can see the logic!

wilkotom

. We don't get towels either - another company in the building give their employees towels so I am deeply jealous, but I do work for a charity so I can see the logic!

This sounds suspiciously like the building I work in, in Angel. Hello from the 4th floor if it is!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My company is based in a building hosting various other companies, and so the ground-level carpark is used by all the tenants/companies. I'm lucky because my company is paying for a reasonably large bike cage installed in one corner of the carpark, filled with Sheffield stands, enough to hold about 50 bikes I think. Plus, the building management maintain locker and shower rooms costing about $60 a year to use. There are security staff who periodically walk through the car park area (although I'm not sure they'd even notice if one of the bikes was completely trashed), plus there are video cameras, one of them in the corner of the bike cage covering most of it. I'm not sure if it's actually on, though, or just there for appearances sake. So overall the facilities are good. It's nice to be able, after my 27km hilly commute to work, to be able to have a hot shower on those cold Winter mornings, and a cool shower in Summer :smile:. It means I arrive at my desk smelling a lot fresher than many of my work colleagues who arrived by public transport or car.

JamesTaylor02

I don't have any particular facilities. I store my bike in the stock room of the shop I work in. Although, I am lucky in that the stockroom is only accessible from the back corridors of the shopping centre and is behind 2 code locked doors.
There's nothing in the way of changing facilities either – there's either the staff room to get changed in or locking the bathroom door if you want more privacy.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have all the comforts of home at work, 3 toilets 3 bathrooms, warm towels, drying room, jet washer and compressed air and lots more. One of the many advantages of working from home.

Top Bottom