Works bike scheme dilemma...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Lets get one thing straight before we start... I would like to point out that the head of HR for the company I work for has told me that this is not a cycle to work scheme and I do not have to use the scheme to get a bike for cycling to work on.... Now that is out of the way, lets get down to the bizz.

I have £500 to spend at Halfords, but £500 is not going to get me a bike that I want or need., so I`m going to get something for the wife. I want to get a nice looking non sus bike for her for Summer day rides together. She is using my Boardman MX Race (sus fork) at the moment, but its too big for her in my opinion and she wont do drops, so I`m looking at hybrids

£449 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-womens-bike

£400 (Looks nice, but how do they manage to get a carbon forked bike to 13kg?) http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/13-intuitive-lambda-womens-hybrid-bike

£449 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/13-implicit-alpha-hybrid-bike-2015

£549 (10.9kg, Tiagra) (yes its £50 over budget but I`m sure Halfords will take a £50 bung)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/13-implicit-beta-hybrid-bike-2015

Any input?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If you are getting the tax break then your head of HR needs to go get another job.

midlife

Guru
"However, there is generally no taxable benefit on the use of cycles and cycle safety equipment" says HMRC so presumably the company can buy the bike and loan it to you?

Shaun

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
"However, there is generally no taxable benefit on the use of cycles and cycle safety equipment" says HMRC so presumably the company can buy the bike and loan it to you?

Shaun

I think for there to be no taxable benefit the bikes have to be available for all staff and used for work purposes. This is one of the get arounds for a company limiting how many people can take up the cycle to work scheme (and limiting their cash outflow.)

midlife

Guru
I think for there to be no taxable benefit the bikes have to be available for all staff and used for work purposes. This is one of the get arounds for a company limiting how many people can take up the cycle to work scheme (and limiting their cash outflow.)

Hi, re read it and I think you are right that the bike will essentially be classed as payment in kind and is taxable.........

Shaun

Mrs M

Guru
Pashley Para bike or Penny? (£575)
Para Bike is essentially the same bike as my Tube Rider and I love it.
Ok, it's heavy but so comfy and it shifts along once we get going.
Just a thought, good luck finding something suitable :smile: :bicycle:

Kajjal

Guru
Hi, re read it and I think you are right that the bike will essentially be classed as payment in kind and is taxable.........

Shaun
Thats how i read it, a taxable benefit for the employee to be used by their wife. You can tell this is the case by the way the original post is worded, it is for the wife so therefore not a job need like say a laptop.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I have the men's version of the Boardman hybrid good comfy solid bike good components for the money your Mrs will enjoy it. I didn't like the stock tyres so I changed them apart from that happy days.

jefmcg

Guru
Top one on looks, but ultimately she should choose. Take her to a decent size Halfords that has the bikes in the shop

^^This. It's ok to do some research, but the right bike is the one you fall in love with, not the "perfect" bike by some measure.

I don't think Halfords do test rides (please correct me) but their brand, Cycle Republic do, so try to visit one of them.

£549 (10.9kg, Tiagra) (yes its £50 over budget but I`m sure Halfords will take a £50 bung)

BC membership £3x, gives a 10% discount + 3rd party insurance.

Ok, it's heavy but so comfy and it shifts along once we get going.
I'm going to say suggest you don't go this way. If a £500 bike doesn't cut it for @Lilliburlero, then his wife is going to need something more less Clydesdale to go with him. You see it a lot, a mamil (yes, use that word!!) on a carbon road bike, out for a pleasant ride with the non-cycling wife, on her usually cheaper bike with a comfort seat. They both look miserable. Really, they should swap bikes. Her heavy dutch bike would handicap him a little, and equalise things.

If she's looking for a bimble bike, or a short commute, then 2 thumbs up. I locked up next to a tube rider. That's a lovely bike, and one I would enjoy owning.

OP
OP
Lilliburlero

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

A little update on this. My application for the cycle scheme was successful and I`m just waiting on the voucher to be sent to me.

The Boardman is now £500 from last weeks £450 - that`s out.
The 13 Intuitive Lambda is now £350 from last weeks £400 - that`s in.
The 13 Implicit Alpha is now £400 from last weeks £450 - tempting.
The 13 Implicit Beta is the same price at £550 - out

It looks like I`ll be getting the 13 Intuitive Lambda for £350 and then using the other £150 towards a new set of wheels to replace the beat up Miche Reflex RX5`s on my beloved old Wilier for £20 over the voucher value http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-wheels/campagnolo-vento-asymetric-wheels-g3

Btw... My wife knows nothing about this :laugh: .... Its a surprise :secret:

Top Bottom