Workstand Clamping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I have considered buying a work stand for doing maintenance and cleaning after nearly dropping my bike while cleaning it :ohmy:

I did a search on recommendations, however a number of people have said clamp the seat post, and not the top tube as it could damage it. I had only really ever considered clamping on the top tube but did wonder what effect clamping would have on the brake cable.

My seat post is carbon, is it safe to clamp it or could I damage it - funnily enough it's a part I'd rather not have fail on me!?

Cooper645

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member

I have that second one, but I find my bike is unstable in it. Maybe I should try moving the adjustable hook a bit more. I did actually consider just sticking a wheelie bin either side "in case" as a cheaper option!

I also just spotted this on Halfords I haven't seen before, but it doesn't really explain very well how the bike is secured in, I am guessing it's via the BB http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/work-stands/elite-essential-workstand

Cooper645

Looks like the BB sits at the bottom, strap around the down tube and the red bit to hold the front wheel steady maybe.

My stand has the bottom hook normal under the rear triangle frame, and the top hook angled at 45* to the tube from spindle up to seat post clamp. If you can picture it.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Yeah just found this:

caballete-reparacion-elite-spindoctor-essential-2013-2.jpg

Seems to get good reviews on Wiggle, although they don't sell it now. Some report issues with "oversized BB", which I am not sure applies to me, somebody specifically says their Z85 fits, although the review being from 2012 it may be an earlier model. Also I ride a 61 frame, the front wheel may go beyond that guide!

huwsparky

Über Member
I got a normal one for Christmas. Not used it yet but scared to do so now as it's carbon, seat post included. Not really thought to much about damaging the bike.

Surely, if clamping when the bike is in a balanced position it doesn't need to be clamped that hard where the game could be damaged?

PaddyMcc

Über Member
I bought my bike from t'internet. In the box, the top tube was wrapped in a piece of foam. I kept this and use it to put around the frame before clamping. You could use a thick rag/towel.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have the Park PCS10 and have been clamping around the seat post on both bikes since I got it. Not had any issues so far.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The problem with top tube clamping is that many bikes are designed with impossibly thin centre sections of tubing. There is a real possibility of denting/crushing the top tube. If you're worried about carbon seatpost clamping, treat yourself to a cheap eBay alloy post just for clamping purposes,

bpsmith

Veteran
I would imagine that the force on the seat post, when clamping, is less than that put on it when riding?

huwsparky

Über Member
I would imagine that the force on the seat post, when clamping, is less than that put on it when riding?

It's a difference force though isn't it?

Either way, been looking a bit googling it and found that many people have been clamping carbon bikes via the seat post and has no issues whatsoever. I won't be doing any serious maintenance anyway, just want the bike off the floor to make cleaning and basic maintenance easier.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's a difference force though isn't it?

Either way, been looking a bit googling it and found that many people have been clamping carbon bikes via the seat post and has no issues whatsoever. I won't be doing any serious maintenance anyway, just want the bike off the floor to make cleaning and basic maintenance easier.
Its a really good question tbh. The clamping itself doesn't worry me. If anything, it's the movement when doing the maintenance that I would query, if anything.

Probably put the most force on it when cleaning I reckon, as the bike can move about when brushing muck off. I just hold the frame when doing any bits that might make the bike pivot or move more than most. Never been an issue.

There's no easier way to clean a bike imho.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
[QUOTE 3454124, member: 45"]For a carbon bike with carbon seat post, get hold of a cheap metal seat post and clamp to that.[/QUOTE]
If only so easy, then I'd need a torque wrench so I don't overtighten the clamp when putting the carbon seat post back in:banghead:

Top Bottom