Workstand Clamping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have read that if you have a carbon framed bike with a carbon seatpost you should keep a spare alloy seat post to use when clamping in a workstand. [edit - as User posted above] (I clamp mine using the nose of the saddle). Similar questions arise about carrying carbon bikes on bike carriers on cars.

screenman

Legendary Member
If only so easy, then I'd need a torque wrench so I don't overtighten the clamp when putting the carbon seat post back in:banghead:

Did you really?

Oldbloke

Guru
Yeah just found this:

caballete-reparacion-elite-spindoctor-essential-2013-2.jpg

Seems to get good reviews on Wiggle, although they don't sell it now. Some report issues with "oversized BB", which I am not sure applies to me, somebody specifically says their Z85 fits, although the review being from 2012 it may be an earlier model. Also I ride a 61 frame, the front wheel may go beyond that guide!

I had one of these, ok for a traditional BB but doesn't work for oversized ones..they won't fit in the bracket/holder..unless the design has now been updated.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I had one of these, ok for a traditional BB but doesn't work for oversized ones..they won't fit in the bracket/holder..unless the design has now been updated.
The reviews on wiggle, which are old, suggest the same thing. I am not sure I have an oversized one, but it doesn't future proof it much I guess even if not.

bpsmith

Veteran
I got a torque wrench a month or so back. Best tool ever bought tbh. Really takes the guesswork out of things and not as expensive as in the past either.

People will come along and say it's not required as they can "feel" the right torque without a torque wrench. Good luck to those with that unique skill, but a torque wrench is my preference.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Hmmm...how tight are people clamping the top tube? Surely just enough to hold the bike securely, not sufficient to dent or crush the top tube. I have steel, carbon and aluminium bikes, and have had no problems with any. I was only thinking about protecting the paintwork, hence the foam or rag/towel comment.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If you have a workstand where the clamp assembly rotates you can reduce force on the seatpost by putting something under the front wheel to take the load before locking the clamp assembly.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I got a torque wrench a month or so back. Best tool ever bought tbh. Really takes the guesswork out of things and not as expensive as in the past either.

People will come along and say it's not required as they can "feel" the right torque without a torque wrench. Good luck to those with that unique skill, but a torque wrench is my preference.
Don't they need calibrating? How would you go about this.

Top Bottom