World Aids Day 1st December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I've changed my avatar to be Christmassy but am also thinking of all the people I met in S. Africa last November. The decoration is traditional beadwork. Only a few weeks after I got back from SA, two of the people I'd met had died of the disease, including one marvellous young man who was teaching dancing to groups of young people in the villages and getting them into competitions. My colleague and I took a suitcase full of dancing shoes out to them.

World Aids Day doesn't seem to get a huge profile here in the UK - maybe it's because it's at this time of year when all the charities have their Christmas campaigns. Also, here we are so lucky with drugs and care - nobody "has" to die of AIDS here whereas it is still a killer in so many countries. Anyway, here's a link to look at, and please think about donating.

http://www.worldaidsday.org/

RedRider

Pulling through
Have a bump. It can't be right that something so treatable harms so many around the world.

I hope you don't mind me adding, as well as the NAT linked in the OP there are other organisations supporting women and men with HIV in the uk. Services have been under financial pressure these last few years.
eg

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Have a bump. It can't be right that something so treatable harms so many around the world.

I hope you don't mind me adding, as well as the NAT linked in the OP there are other organisations supporting women and men with HIV in the uk. Services have been under financial pressure these last few years.
eg
Thanks RedRider, yes PositivelyUK is a great organisation. Also the ignorance among the young is a bit frightening - Mr G and I support several organisations that work with kids on the subject of relationships. People here think that they won't catch HIV and even if they do it's no biggie, whereas it still affects your whole life.

Top Bottom