World Championships Montreal 2026 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr.B-Campag

Well-Known Member
I was (and remain) firmly in the anyone but Pogi camp, and since he wasn't able to race I guess I got my wish. But this result almost feels worse - a solid but not great rider wins it and the world champs jersey will be seen most of next season working for Pogi (and their ethically dubious sponsor). Next we'll probably have to hear the Fanta Menace crowing about it as well...
 
OP
OP
No Ta Doctor

No Ta Doctor

Veteran
Cav's hopeless - he's DNFed 5 out of 7 starts! ;-)
Could you do some more research to support my pet theory? Every year (since about 2012 anyways) we've had numerous top road riders (inc several Grand Tour winners) but have massively under-achieved. Cav+Pidders are the standout exceptions. (and Lizzie of course! I think Cooke was earlier?)

(There might be a strong correlation with under-achieving in the Classics too ..)

Well the five GT winners have won twelve GTs between them, and not including the nat champs (where clearly a Brit has to win) a grand total of four one day races - Thomas winning E3 Harelbeke and Yates winning three 1.1 level races in Spain (Prueba Villafranca - Ordiziako Klasika *2 and the Gran Premio Miguel Indurain). I think it's fair to say that focus wasn't really on one day races.

Pidcock is probably the best one day rider in the country, but even he's only won six (SEVEN!) one day races. Cav only won 11.

Stannard with a couple back in the day

Have I missed anyone with more wins than Pidcock in that timeframe?
 

yello

back and brave
Location
France
I've been reading around, educating myself on racing strategy etc, and I have to say that I didn't fully appreciate what a complete job Team USA seemingly did. I say complete but we didn't see a possible final scenario; if McNulty had been caught then Jorgenson would have gone. They basically outgunned everyone else, kept a lid on any chase and rode for each other.
 
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
I like it when a rider wins with their head and team, as opposed to just their legs. When racing doesn't have strategy it might as well be a TT. Or Pogacar solo from 8000km.

I'm conflicted about this. I do like it when an underdog wins despite a much better qualified/more famous group chasing (eg Vallieres last year, or any hotly contested breakaway win in a GT, Ali Jackson at Roubaix). However, I don't like it when it appears that fear of losing has become the biggest factor in a race, overriding desire to win, even if that appearance is an unfair summary. (This year's road race, women's Olympic road race). However, I do like it when that happens and someone I want to win takes advantage (S Yates on Finestre). :wacko:
 
Last edited:
I'm conflicted about this. I do like it when an underdog wins despite a much better qualified/more famous group chasing (eg Vallieres last year, or any hotly contested breakaway win in a GT, Ali Jackson at Roubaix). However, I don't like it when it appears that fear of losing has become the biggest factor in a race, overriding desire to win, even if that appearance is an unfair summary. (This year's road race, women's Olympic road race). However, I do like it when that happens and someone I want to win takes advantage (Yates on Finestre). :wacko:

:laugh:
Honestly, it's these kinds of dilemma that make bike racing such a great sport!
 
I've been reading around, educating myself on racing strategy etc, and I have to say that I didn't fully appreciate what a complete job Team USA seemingly did. I say complete but we didn't see a possible final scenario; if McNulty had been caught then Jorgenson would have gone. They basically outgunned everyone else, kept a lid on any chase and rode for each other.

You're not wrong. But ...
this does ignore - using the benefits of hindsight - the scenario of the first VdeP break staying clear. It's likely Matty would have won from that group - it's very unlikely that The American would have won.

So to those saying "The USA Team played a blinder" I still say there was a lot of luck involved. (Just as anyone else would have needed good luck on their side to win!)
 
So what's the consensus: a more or less popular winner than Rui Costa? (& for a bonus, which 2 riders started both races)

NOW you've upset me! Was that the really wet one? Here's the GB list of shame (only matched by AUS which - fair dinkum - has a hot sunny climate):

DNF Froome Chris
DNF Thomas Geraint
DNF Edmondson Joshua
DNF Wiggins Bradley
DNF Stannard Ian
DNF Cummings Steve
DNF Cavendish Mark
DNF Rowe Luke

3 GT winners and a World Champion!!!
 

Archie from BR

Senior Member
Well done Brandon, if your going to get your first 2026 victory why not make it at the WC.
I am no big fan of Brandon but you can't blame him for what happened behind. He obviously had the form to go for it after his 4th in the TT.
Pity the rainbow Jersey will be seen at the team car collecting bottles next year but that's how it goes.
Well done that man..
 
Top Bottom