World Cup draw prediction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Stephenite said:
Will it? Ever the optimist, me, but wont winning the world cup give them some pride? A vicarious and abstract pride, maybe. That is what a lot of these disassociated yoofs are missing. And the sense of achievement of their national (working class :tongue:) team becoming the best in the world through fair play and hard work may filter down into their tiny little skulls.

Winning the World Cup can only bring positives, i reckon. (either that or it's the beer talking, i'm into my 2nd can :biggrin:)

I dislike the game of football - it is the same as poker. Apart from a bit of luck, the side with the most money wins.

I will watch the England games of course, and I will be supporting them, maybe even get excited. I guess in the world cup it is less about money, more about the teams, which is why it is more bareable....just a shame every 11 year old in the country will idolise these footballers and wish for nothing less than £60,000 a week salary. However, best of luck to the team.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
montage said:
I dislike the game of football - it is the same as poker. Apart from a bit of luck, the side with the most money wins.

I will watch the England games of course, and I will be supporting them, maybe even get excited. I guess in the world cup it is less about money, more about the teams, which is why it is more bareable....just a shame every 11 year old in the country will idolise these footballers and wish for nothing less than £60,000 a week salary. However, best of luck to the team.

Your arse is bareable - football is bearable;)

Noodley

Stephenite said:
Algeria by any chance? :tongue:

Perhaps :biggrin::evil:

In all seriousness, I would like to see England get gubbed in every game do well. I feel the pain you have for not being Scottish :biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
Noodley said:
Perhaps :biggrin::evil:

In all seriousness, I would like to see England get gubbed in every game do well. I feel the pain you have for not being Scottish :tongue:

Pain? No that is just having warm hands and feet.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
montage said:

I get your point. The amount of money in the game is vulgar, and is spoiling it. But this, i think, can be said for many things. Music, for eg. The pop/rock/indie (etc) kind, i mean. There's a million bands/artists out there making great music but you wont hear them on the radio or tv. The business-heads took over that industry a long time ago. But i digress.

You get the point too, it seems, of supporting a football team. It's an attractive game - played on a large grass field, its athletic, and has an emphasis on teamwork. And we've all enjoyed playing it at some time or another. Supporting a team means dedicating a part of ourselves to a greater societal good, albeit temporarily. Tribal, if you like. This is all illusory, and a little farcical, in this day and age but the sense of belonging and the passion are life-affirming. You can ask this of any supporter, whether it be Rochdale AFC or MUFC.

I haven't always been into footy. I remember the 1990 WC semifinal between England and Germany. I had no interest whatsoever. Knew nothing about it. I was hitch-hiking from a yoga retreat centre back to Manchester and a bhuddist picked me up. He was listening to summat on the radio whilst we were talking about the differences between hindu and bhuddist philosophy. We stopped at a cafe. I hadnt a bean to my name - i did what he did. The place was in 'lockdown'. Everyone, inc. my new buddy, gormlessly listening to the radio. Suspicions confirmed - we live in 'samsara' (illusion).

What was that about digressing..? .. who... me?

Found myself (not meant in the spiritual sense :thumbsup: ) following football again in 1998/9. Going down to the local pub at the gracious invite of some well-tuned-in folks to watch MUFC's roller-coaster ride to european champions league victory. A drama i dont think has ever been surpassed. Before or since. Neither in high, nor any other form of, art. Unscripted. Lows followed by highs, by lows, and by highs. All unfolding in front of me in real-time. It wasn't possible to be unaffected. It's the joining in, the being a part of. The mindlessness and selflessness of it all. And you'll feel this too when you support England in the WC in South Africa.

It's a shame this game is being spoiled by bread-heads.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
Noodley said:
I feel the pain you have for not being Scottish :thumbsup:

I lived in Dundee for a year and i felt much more in common with you scots than i do with southern english. But there was one c*** who was always giving me a hard time. Lost my cool one time and gripped him. It turned out he was born in england and his dad was english. How silly was that?

Top Bottom