World Cycle Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbles90

Hey, anybody here interested in, planning or done a world cycle tour?

I'm planning to do one next year as I want to do something before I have to settle down etc!

Would love to hear from people planning one or willing to do one. I'd love to find a travel buddy for this!

young Ed

Veteran
i wonder if @SatNavSaysStraightOn would be willing to impart her experience on this one?!
Cheers Ed

snorri

Legendary Member
No, I think it would do my head in.
It's ok to go for a shorter period, seeing new things every day, meeting new people every day, but gradually a strong desire arises to converse with someone in your own language, a meaningful conversation rather than just a garbled multilingual communication supported with a form of sign language in order to find the nearest camp site, hostel or water source.
Finding a travel buddy might work if you have known the other person for some time, but cycling long term with someone who has answered an ad to 'Cycle with me around the world', no thanks.

:smile:

... cycling long term with someone who has answered an ad to 'Cycle with me around the world', no thanks.

C'mon @snorri, what could possibly go wrong?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3TEFm_x5aM8rG0Q989UVerdxqlsuZldPKgIttJ4F1NUqC0Ik0.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Agree you'd want to choose your cycling companion carefully, but the beauty of speaking English is you'll meet good English speakers almost everywhere you go.

OP
OP
J

jimbles90

Agree you'd want to choose your cycling companion carefully, but the beauty of speaking English is you'll meet good English speakers almost everywhere you go.

Oh I know! I don't plan on this trip happening for another year or so which is why I'm putting it out there now in case I can find a travel Buddy!

Thanks for the heads up though

Without any doubt in my mind, any long term cycle touring is best planned for a person to set out by themselves, unless they are a in a l long term relationships and know each others quirks and idiosyncrasy's
from my experiences cycling through Asia and Africa, you soon find travel companions for sections of your journey if you so wish maybe just for a couple of days before either you or they decide on different plans or a difference in speed etc.

Without any doubt in my mind, any long term cycle touring is best planned for a person to set out by themselves, unless they are a in a l long term relationships and know each others quirks and idiosyncrasy's
from my experiences cycling through Asia and Africa, you soon find travel companions for sections of your journey if you so wish maybe just for a couple of days before either you or they decide on different plans or a difference in speed etc.
this. I did go out and I was married to the person I went with. We have been married for 18 years now.
We had people join us for various lengths of time. Another couple who had been together for a very long time, a lovely Spanish lady who we could easily have cycled with for much longer than the 5 day she stayed with us (her holiday did not permit any longer and she had already extended the time and changed her plans just to stay with us). A German guy who would periodically go off on his own and meet up with us again later that day and camp overnight wild with us. There were others.
Only the Spanish lady we would have been really happy with for any length of time. So I guess an average of 5% of the people who cycled with us being OK for a longer time is an interesting one. You do really need to know them and know them well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I do most of my cycle touring on my own because
  • I'm comfortable with my own company
  • It allows greater flexibility - I don't have to negotiate the daily itinerary
  • Strangers are more likely to talk to a lone cyclist than a pair of cyclists
  • I'm happy wild camping in unorthodox places not everyone is
  • I can stop and start whenever I want

Ive done short three day and two week tours with friends and I've been happy to hand them back at the end of the tour - it's been the limit of my ability to cope with the external pressures of having to consider the wellbeing and happiness of my touring partners and sacrificing some of my own to accommodate them.

Top Bottom