World Cycling Championship Florence 22 - 29 September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
An interesting comment from Gilbert made me want to start this thread:

In a cycling magazine, Gilbert has made the comment "I do not work for someone else".
Quite a statement for someone who hasn't won a race yet this year and hasn't even got many podiumfinishes - in the races that suit him -. Whatever the leader of the team would be for Belgium, they ain't gonna be among the favourites this year, but still... as coach of the national team or as teammate I wouldn't like to hear statements like that.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Reading between the lines of his comments pre-TDF, I get the impression that Phil isn't entirely happy at BMC and is ticked off at having to play second fiddle to someone in what he probably assumed would be his year of glory in the rainbow stripes. Maybe he feels his status as world champ means the team should be working for him alone. Who else in the Belgian team would the parcours suit better?

OP
OP
The Couch

The Couch

Über Member
... Who else in the Belgian team would the parcours suit better?
Well.. as said before this year Belgium can't really put any favourite "on the table"... but they have people who should perhaps be entitled co-leadership (or at least "free role") like Van Avermaet, Meersman and Bakelandts. Without his fall, you could have perhaps put De Clercq with those names as well ... and nobody can predict what form/interest De Gendt would have on the day.

oldroadman

Veteran
Hard circuit and anything can happen, it's wide open. Even Froome may be in with a shout - it's that difficult when repeated over multiple laps. Can't see a sprinter getting to the finish near the front, Gilbert may have something as a puncheur may be the best type of rider for this course. Except he is going like a dog at the moment, but ridig better each day in Spain, which is how things worked out last time.

oldroadman

Veteran
ITT course looks made for Spartacus, Martin, Wiggins. Though in which order is the question. Spartacus looked brutal today in Spain, Tony Martin very close, Wiggo is presumably away working with the coaches. The short ITT in the Tour of Britian might give a pointer to where his form is at with just a week to go.

Top Bottom