World Naked Bike Ride - campaigning for cycle safety!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Personally I find the whole idea to be an epic fail. In 2010 naked bike ride made the press when Brighton council called for it to be banned, also branding it as "indecent and sleazy" they also recieved a large number of negative comments regarding the event, with one resident stating it "seems to be primarly populated by exhibitionists and those of limited interllect"
I have seen rarely better perception as years have passed and articles in the media seem to focus on the nudity and present it from the angle of indecentcy or a thing eccentric englishmen do. The intention of the protest or meaning behind it usually makes minimal line space in articles I have read. Yes its your right to do this, yes it does no harm, yes its just a bit of fun, but in general the public associate it with naturalist life styles, and view it as a mad hippy thing.. The message by large fails to get the message across

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
They're a bit po-faced in Brighton, then.

Oh, the irony of someone claiming someone else is "... of limited interllect [sic]" and then saying that "the public associated with naturalist [sic] life styles". :laugh: Would that be the life style of David Attenborough, or David Bellamy, perhaps.

The most sensible thing you wrote was "Yes its your right to do this, yes it does no harm, yes its just a bit of fun".

Personally, I find it very sad that most children in this country are trained to react with horror at the sight of another human body, and that a great many adults are too immature to see a nude person without associating it with sex.

"The message by large fails to get the message across". That (if I understood what you tried to say) is based on your extensive scientific research, is it? (See the quotation at the bottom of this post.)

Mr Haematocrit

Scientific evidence is not required for an opinion. I believe that this was clearly stated with the words "Personally I find the whole idea to be an epic fail" I then went on to explain why I held this belief.
Scientific evidence is only required to support facts and claims, if your asking for the news article I quoted, I would be happy to send it to you.
Other than various news articles i have read which appear to give more press to the naked aspect than road safety, I have also been discussing this with my cycle club, family, friends, and my debate mailing list at work. It is this cross section of society which makes me believe the message is not getting across.. I do however have no scientific evidence, but I am also unable to find any evidence which suggests getting naked and riding a bike improves peoples awareness of others on our highways, or safety but some believe this to be the case.
Your right to do this and believe it makes a difference, mine to believe it does not.. Although its easy to prove it does, just reference the law changes which came in soley due to these protests.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Yes, I understand that part of your post was expressing an opinion, although the words "... I find that ..," suggest a finding rather than just an opinion, and you are entitled to hold and express that opinion. My comment was about your assertion of: "The message by large fails to get the message across" as fact. (That was why I quoted it.) Lack of evidence to the contrary is not sufficient to establish the truth of your assertion.
In fact it is quite common for a message to be put across on the back of something else that is more likely to reach the target audience. It is my opinion that general elections have been swung based on the nipple count of certain tabloid newspapers. I also think we would be deluding ourselves if we thought all of the very well thought out arguments in blogs, CTC magazines, CEGB, or even the DfT web site is much more than "preaching to the converted".
The best way is to use every avenue at our disposal; this is just one of them. If it doesn't make a difference, what the hell, we had some fun anyway and did no harm to anyone in the process.

Mr Haematocrit

I work with a company who encourages people to be social and communicate with one another to help build working relationships, we have a internal system which is closely related to social networking applications where staff from different offices can discuss things both work related and non work related. We have a runners group and cycling group along with may other subjects such as football which contains people based in various global offices interested in this subject or recreation.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
London-UK-Naked-cyclists--009.jpg

eeeuuuuwwwww - mudguards!

Gary E

Veteran
Oh Jesus, that's the heavy-weight section is the fit section following on?

How the hell is that safe? I've only looked at it once and I've thrown up already!!!

Top Bottom