World Naked Bike Ride - campaigning for cycle safety!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

will golden

Regular
OK, I'm going2 repeat myself (Burp!)

I am on the organizing collective for the World Naked Bike Ride London. As such I have first hand insider information for many of the UK rides (for a small fee! ....naaah! I can't do that! :laugh: ).

The World Naked Bike Ride is the world's largest demonstration of any kind. We involve some 35,000 riders in upward of 50 locations worldwide, all bar a few (mainly in the southern hemi) virtually simultaneously, viewed in total by millions of people in the streets. Moreover it is the only major demonstration that is non-aggressive.

All the rides in England are full-nudity permitted, but we encourage bodypainting 2convey our messages. The three main tenets are.....
  • for increased road safety for cyclists
  • against overdependence on carbon fuels
  • for body freedom & acceptance and against body elitism & perversification
Why naked?
  • Because it symbolizes our vulnerability on the roads. We are naked in the face of the enemy!
  • Then there is the public perception. If we all wore grey t-shirts with slogans nobody would take any notice. But 1,200 naked riders in the streets of London in the eyes of a mainly lascivious populace?????
And, hey, it's hellish fun! On a bike, naked in the face of nature; what a sensation of total liberty!

Hugz Will

redcard

Veteran
Getting naked for a good cause.... Bit passé innit.

OP
OP
will golden

will golden

Regular
Getting naked for a good cause.... Bit passé innit.

No.... as long as the majority of the UK population is brainwashed into some kind of sexual OCD (trended by: dress sense, popular magazine choice, social trends, TV preferences, relationships based on sex only, prurient spare time activities) nudity will always catch the lascivious eye of a population mass largely incapable of seeing nudity without thinking of sex.

The day a discerning majority accepts public nudity for aesthetic, lifestyle reasons rather than cheap titillation, then the World Naked Bike Ride will no longer be effective.

Gary E

Veteran
I'm not squeamish about getting naked I just don't like the idea of my man-parts not being help up out of the way of the saddle. My eye's are watering just thinking about it! :wacko:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sounds fun. When is it?
I shall ensure my helmet is on display.

Only if your helmet exceeds british (safety) standards, plz, otherwise it's all a bit xx(
This is the prurient, lascivious, can't see nudity without blah blah bit of the population :rolleyes:

redcard

Veteran
No.... as long as the majority of the UK population is brainwashed into some kind of sexual OCD (trended by: dress sense, popular magazine choice, social trends, TV preferences, relationships based on sex only, prurient spare time activities) nudity will always catch the lascivious eye of a population mass largely incapable of seeing nudity without thinking of sex.

The day a discerning majority accepts public nudity for aesthetic, lifestyle reasons rather than cheap titillation, then the World Naked Bike Ride will no longer be effective.

Not really. I've seen about 30 'nude' calendars in the last year. I couldn't give a stuff about any of them, or their causes.

You might get a picture in the Daily Mail, and people will have a glance before going on to read about Pippa's new handbag.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
It's an excellent way of making cyclists look like cranky hippies rather than normal road users who need proper consideration.
... or perhaps of showing that not all Brits are uptight gymnophobic busybodies who can't stand to see other people having a bit of a laugh whilst making a point.
I must admit, though, I wouldn't like to see similar activities from most of the motorists I see on my commute; now that probably would make me feel a bit nauseous. :eek:
(Have to agree about the "Hugz" thing, though.)

Top Bottom